Happy Birthday To Meeeee

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I have been saving my pennies and got the green light from the wife so my b-day present to me this year is a salsa spearfish frame and Stan’s wheels!

So I will be building my first full squish bike! Yahhh! So stoked!
      Actually I have no idea what I’m doing but it will be fun trying. Probably end up at my favorite LSB with a box of parts and a confused expression.
      I have ridden steel hard tails for awhile so the spearfish will be a different animal.

More to follow.

Congrats man, let us know how the build goes! And be sure to post pics 😃

Reba RL
      Monarch R
      XO brakes
      XO rear derailleur
      X7 front derailleur
      X9 shifters and cranks
      Easton Monkey Lite bar
      Mountain king 2.2 rear, Bontrager 29-4, 2.4 front on Stans Arch tubeless

My first build. With some help from friends I built a rideable bike!
      Ended up at my favorite LBS so the professionals could square away the loose ends.

Now off to the trails!

"jamis29er" wrote

Reba RL
      Monarch R
      XO brakes
      XO rear derailleur
      X7 front derailleur
      X9 shifters and cranks
      Easton Monkey Lite bar
      Mountain king 2.2 rear, Bontrager 29-4, 2.4 front on Stans Arch tubeless

My first build. With some help from friends I built a rideable bike!
      Ended up at my favorite LBS so the professionals could square away the loose ends.

Now off to the trails!

That looks great!

Super nice build! Really dig the color! Happy Birfday! 😃

Happy belated Birthday!

Now go out and ride that nice bike!!!!!!

Heard nothing but good things about the Spearfish. What’s she weigh in at?

Salsa Bikes rock! you will have a ton of fun on that thing!

"dgaddis" wrote

Heard nothing but good things about the Spearfish. What’s she weigh in at?

I don’t have a scale but she is surprisingly light. I figured a full squish aluminum bike would be heavy but she is a little lighter than my steel 29er hard tail (Transition TransAm) which is light. A couple short rides at Blankets Creek and The Spearfish seems agile and fast.
      She isn’t super plush and the ride is similar to the steel hard tail with a little more give on the rough stuff. Spearfish seems to climb well, not to much bob in the frame even when standing and mashing down hard.

So far so good!

I dig it!!

"jamis29er" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":3tooz0ac]Heard nothing but good things about the Spearfish. What’s she weigh in at?

I don’t have a scale but she is surprisingly light. I figured a full squish aluminum bike would be heavy but she is a little lighter than my steel 29er hard tail (Transition TransAm) which is light. A couple short rides at Blankets Creek and The Spearfish seems agile and fast.
      She isn’t super plush and the ride is similar to the steel hard tail with a little more give on the rough stuff. Spearfish seems to climb well, not to much bob in the frame even when standing and mashing down hard.

So far so good![/quote:3tooz0ac]

That’s what I’ve read elsewhere about that frame. Not the bike if you’re looking for a comfy Cadillac ride, but if you want suspension purely for performance (keeping the tire on the ground) it works very well.

The Spearfish suspension does tend to keep the rear wheel on the ground, especially when descending. Now that I am starting to put some miles on this bike I am learning the physics of the full suspension frame. Spearfish is a great Xcountry bike.

Neglecting my HT. not enough hours in the day.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.