Hanging a bike during storage methods?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Is it bad to hang a mt bike upside down from the ceiling by hooks? Bad for the rockshox? Is there a better way to store by hanging? Any tips or pics? Thx!

Dependind on your fork, it’s not a good idea. If you have a coil, it should be okay. If you have an air fork the oil could leak out, or dislocate into the upper section.

Just hang it from the rear wheel. That will alleviate any issues with leaking oil, though I have never seen or heard of any issues of that kind, especially if you maintain your bike, but still no sense in taking any chances I guess. I have hung my bikes from the front and rear wheels before and never had any issues with leakage or fork failure, but not saying it could happen though. Great point ollysj… 😉

On-On!

Some hydraulic brakes *cough*Hayes HFX9*cough* don’t like being stored upside down.

I store mine vertically, hung by the front wheel.

"maddslacker" wrote

Some hydraulic brakes *cough*Hayes HFX9*cough* don’t like being stored upside down.

I store mine vertically, hung by the front wheel.

^^^^ 😆 😆 😆

Hayes 9’s are horrible fluid brakes. I have gone through three different sets within 3 years. The pistons and calipers are always sticking, even after servicing, and the MS are always blowing from time to time. I finally got fed up of the 9’s and flew with the Strokers, been very happy since then, though within 2 years, the piston stuck once. I am ready for either Formula’s or Avids…. 😆 😆 😆

I love my Formulas!
      My new bike comes with Avid Elixir 3’s, and I’ll be looking to upgrade those to Formula RX or R1.

I learned about hanging it from the nose of the saddle from somwhere else online and tried it tonight… Works awesome!!

"Spartan" wrote

I learned about hanging it from the nose of the saddle from somwhere else online and tried it tonight… Works awesome!!

could you post a pic please? I’m trying to envision it and I can’t but it seems to be a good idea. Thnx

I took a photo on my iphone…..how do i attach it

"Spartan" wrote

I took a photo on my iphone…..how do i attach it

Check out the tutorial on embedding images.

No time for storage….!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.