Handlebar Upgrade/Questions

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Handlebar Upgrade/Questions

--
SHARES

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Looking to upgrade my handlebars of my 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, I’ve heard alot of things about wider handlebars improve control and alot of other stuff, I need some input on what to look for and what to try out?

We would need specs of your current bar before we can tell you what to try…

Usually longer handlebars are done in conjunction with a shorter stem. The wider handlebar and shorter stem combo puts you in a more upright and stable position. Do a push up on the floor and then measure from outer pinky to outer pinky. That is how wide you make the handlebar. The stem is then shortened from 90mm-80mm to around 50mm-40mm.

Most riders love the added stability. However, the more upright and stable position is more suitable for downhill technical riding. It shifts some of your weight off the front wheel so this does sacrifice a bit of your climbing posture. Most advanced riders compensate by shifting their sitting position to the very front tip of their seat when their climbs are steep. This puts some weight back on the front wheel so that it does not lift when it gets bumpy, and it keeps their weight centered over the bottom hub.

Don’t forget 0mm stems!

It’s all a fad…soon we’ll be suggesting -x mm stems that you can steer with your knees

I’ve personally ride with DH bars on all my rides with 60-70 mm stems. Having the stature of a gorilla, that’s just what fits me and makes me comfortable. There are parts of my local trails where my wide bars can’t even fit between trees because 10+ years ago when the trails were designed, the thought of a 30 inch handlebar was absurd 😆

All the information I know is what I can get from the Specialized website. Like I said, this is the first time I’ve had any dealings with looking into handlebars and stems

Handlebar: Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up
      Stem: 3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp

"Tstrahan87" wrote

All the information I know is what I can get from the Specialized website. Like I said, this is the first time I’ve had any dealings with looking into handlebars and stems

So you don’t know how wide your bars are but you know you want wider because the internet says it’s good? 😆 Do you have a tape measure? Measure them.

The best thing to do is try out a bike at your LBS that has wider bars on it than what you have and see how you like it. None of us are going to be able to tell you what you will prefer or find comfortable.

"jtorlando25" wrote

Don’t forget 0mm stems!

It’s all a fad…soon we’ll be suggesting -x mm stems that you can steer with your knees

I’ve personally ride with DH bars on all my rides with 60-70 mm stems. Having the stature of a gorilla, that’s just what fits me and makes me comfortable. There are parts of my local trails where my wide bars can’t even fit between trees because 10+ years ago when the trails were designed, the thought of a 30 inch handlebar was absurd 😆

Wow! I have never seen a 0mm stem. Kinda cool looking…

"Tstrahan87" wrote

The dimensions that you gave us for the handlebars are for sweep and rise, not width. The stem dimensions are for rise and diameter of the clamp, not stem length. Measure the width of the bars (end to end), and measure the stem length (from the center-line of the handlebar at the stem grip, to the center-line of the vertical tube cap bolt).

Then you would know what you have…

"blundar" wrote

[quote="jtorlando25":eh81bgmm]

[/quote:eh81bgmm]
      Yep, they’ve been around in bmx for a while. They were tested out in DH a few years ago and it’s slowly creeping back into the DH/Freeride scene now.

I have long legs, short torso, and short arms. When I was fitted for my bike I ended up with a good stand-over, but my arms stretched out too straight, and I was a bit too hunched over. I should of switched to a smaller sized bike, but they did not have the bike that I wanted on that smaller size. On another similar smaller bike, my long legs made it feel like the cockpit was way too tight. I would of needed a seat post with a bigger offset and possibly move the seat back on the rails a bit more for the correct geometry.

Instead (on the bike that I wanted), I swapped out the stem from an 80mm to a 40mm and added another spacer to raise the stem a bit. That worked out perfect for me. I did not get a wider handlebar because I was already at 640mm wide.

It should probaly be stated if you didn’t already take away from this conversation that a lot of it is about personal preference and riding style. I ride TONS of XC on New Englands almost constantly wet rocky, rooty, singletrack and double track snowmobile trails, constantly climbing steep technical climbs followed up with another steep technical climb. I personally like my wide riser bars. There is no need for bar extenders, but I do like the Ergon grips with the small horns to act similiar to bar extenders.
      I find that a nice wide bar and long stem (110mm) help me to climb anything, navigate around tight switchbacks with more control and clear large obstacles easier. I am over all much more stable with a wider bar than I ever used to be on the oldschool narrow straight bars. I also find that the longer stem means when I slide off the back of the saddle on steep technical decents, drops/rollers and such that I am much more stretched out and need to put more effort into keeping my weight over the back of the bike. Also makes lifting the front end for a jump or wheelie require more effort, whereas with the 60mm stem my climbing ability is halved due to the front wheel constantly lifting off the ground and I have to really concentrate on my technique keeping my elbows in and pulling back on the bars and its a lot more work!

So are you a climber or decender? Stunts or destination rides? Wide chested, narrow chested? Hit yer LBS and see if you can take some of their trial bikes for a spin and get a feel for what the differant bars feel like.

It all comes down to persoal preferance and riding style.

I’ve tried to measure the bar I have now but I’m not sure where the measurement has to be taken, is it a straight line from end to end, or is it measured along the bends of the bar?

"Tstrahan87" wrote

I’ve tried to measure the bar I have now but I’m not sure where the measurement has to be taken, is it a straight line from end to end, or is it measured along the bends of the bar?

straight line

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="blundar":23l1pzhw][quote="jtorlando25":23l1pzhw]

[/quote:23l1pzhw]
      Yep, they’ve been around in bmx for a while. They were tested out in DH a few years ago and it’s slowly creeping back into the DH/Freeride scene now.[/quote:23l1pzhw]

Ummm no…A stem like this is more a fad. Definitely not something that DH riders will consider.

If someone is using one of these more than likely someone purchased the wrong size frame.

I can see someone on a DJ may use this. Makes bar spins easier to catch..

"element22" wrote

Ummm no

Actually…
      [url:1zcqigrs]http://www.mondraker.com/13/home.html[/url:1zcqigrs]

In addition to that I’ve seen it being tested on a few Zerode gearbox bikes and a few Commencals and this was just in one trip to a race at Mountain Creek. Mark my word: it’s coming back.

I am looking at those photos…Not arguing there. But damm..Stem brings the bar up and the bar has a rise to it and add to that a full 10mm spacer from underneath. Just comparing it to my ride and that is more that double the rise…I (personally) would not be comfortable like that..Shortest I run is a 40mm with a 20mm or 12mm rise…

Most all of the guys I know are about there or 445-50mm..

Another wide bars + long stem rider here. I like being stretched out with my back flattened. Makes climbing easier, and puts more weight on the front wheel which helps with cornering.

You’re over thinking it dude. Measure how how your bar is, decide if you want wider or narrower, flat or riser, and buy one. Ride it for a while, and then decide if you want a shorter or longer stem.

Those photos there are clearly for a high end dedicated Down Hill Racer rig. Notice how the top of the fork cylinders go all the way to the handlebars. In any other normal arrangement, it would be uncomfortable to have such a high rise setup.

"blundar" wrote

Those photos there are clearly for a high end dedicated Down Hill Racer rig. Notice how the top of the fork cylinders go all the way to the handlebars. In any other normal arrangement, it would be uncomfortable to have such a high rise setup.

yeah…I’ve seen a downhill bike before 😆

As I specified when I was talking about it:

"jtorlando25" wrote

They were tested out in DH a few years ago and it’s slowly creeping back into the DH/Freeride scene now.

This setup could totally be translated to trail bikes and other "normal engagements" and IMHO it’s just around the corner of being a popular setup again.

wider is better.

short stem is better.

combo is mo’ better.

as mentioned, unless you’re a dedicated xc rider or your trails have a lot of technical climbing. for those a longer stem and moderately wide (shoulder width or thereabouts) bars better fit the bill.

if you’re not so prone to an aerodynamic position on the bike a more upright posture will better keep you weight on your legs over the cranks, where it should be, and not on your hands. much better too when the trail turns steep.

do not get wide bars if you have a long stem. this will just move you even further forward. a 50mm stem is good for what ailes you. see leelikesbikes on the 50 mm stem topic.

a wider bar slows down steering, not a bad thing as it makes the bike feel less nervous at speed.

If it helps any, I’m 5′ 8, ride a med Tallboy LT and just went and purchased the Easton Carbon Havens a couple weeks ago. They are 711mm wide which is the widest bar I’ve ever ridden with. I have them with a 70mm Thomson stem. I am really glad I went with these bars, they seem to be perfect (at least for my setup). I had concerns about getting wider bars thinking I’d be clipping every tree and it would just feel ackward but these feel great. Climbing seems much easier, it’s like my chest is more opened up now since my arms are further apart and my breathing and overall control seems to have benefited.

Viewing 19 reply threads