GT I-drive chain length?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

So I’m pretty much finished with my build right? I was reading my derailleurs manual and it said for rear suspension bikes add 2 chain links. But the whole purpose of the I-drive was to eliminate that chain slack when the rear suspension compresses. So what should I do? Should I add the links or not?

thanks, Cavermatthew

Yes. Well, you can get by without it if you are careful to not cross-chain when shifting.I have the 2012 GT Force. Though chain growth is minimal, there is still some. And occasionally, losing track of which chain ring I am in, I cross-chain; big ring front to big cog rear. I add the the extra two links to avoid the binding and breakage that can happen.

how would you avoid cross chaining without extra links? Or how would I be careful no to cross chain?

The +2 links is for the correct position of the derailleur and not necessarily for the amount of growth or digression in chain length.. The correct amount of chain is wrapping the chain along the large chain ring and largest rear cog +2 links ( that is for the derailleur it self).

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.