Greetings from the uk….. And a squeak problem!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all from a new member in the UK! I’ve recently bought a new Giant Anthem X1 and upgraded the group set to
      XTR with Mavic Xc tubless wheels. Seems to do the job ok!

The only problem I have is with a squeak from the rear wheel area. I have tried a different, old wheel and the squeak is no longer there. I have taken the bike to my local shop but they can’t make the bike make the squeak which I think is down to my weight of 100 KGs (all muscle of course!).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to get rid of this noise? could this be as simple as more grease in the hub? The squeak is driving me around the bend! Help!

😮

Ahoy there, great to have you here at singletracks!

As for your noise problem, give this thread a good look and try a couple of the things listed.

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3276

If you can, try and give us your specific bike setup. The more info we have, the easier it will be to diagnose the problem! Anyways good luck! 😎

First off welcome. Now your problem could be the fact that you have different wheels and more than likely due to manufacturing tolerances the spacing from one wheel to the next is slightly off and your rotor is not sitting exactly where your old set had it. You would need to re-adjust your your rear brakes spacing accordingly.

Cheers

Thanks Guys! That’s very fast and much appreciated replies! I’ve had the bike up on my work stand and spun the wheel many times now and there is no noise. This, I think,rules out a brake problem. Also when I cycle with the brakes applied and riding there is no change in the noise and the noise is sometimes intermitent to. Sometimes the noise is really embarrasing and loud, other times it’s not too bad!

I’ll update the exact spec of my bike in the morning as it’s late here and I’ve had a glass of wine or two! As much as I can remember now is it’s a standard Anthem x1 with Xtr chain set, xtr dual control levers, xtr mechs, xtr rear gears, mavic wheels (one set down from those on the x0 anthem) and nonbly nic tyres. Standard XT brake calipers and disks.

Cheers all,

Hamish

Can you describe the squeak a little more? Definitely coming from the rear wheel? Is it a constant noise or a rotational type noise? Does it only happen when you ride the bike or others as well? If rotaional, does it always happen at the same point in the tire rotation? If it’s not rotational, when exactly does it happen? Does shifting your weight left, right, up and down change it?

The noise is more of a rubbing noise. It is intermittent and doesn’t seam to happen at the same point of the rotation of the wheel. On hotter days it is louder and can turn into a squeak…. If I take my weight of the rear wheel by leaning over the handle bars it getts quieter and then goes altogether. When lighter people than me ride the bike it doesn’t happen, but with a mate who is abou the same weight rides it the noise is there. I don’t think it’s the suspension as simply bouncing up and down on the bike doesn’t recreate the noise.

Weird… have not had this on any other bike I have owned!

Thanks for you help with this!!! 😃

Just for fun check the seal of the hub. Put a drop of oil where the seal meets the axle.

Element has a great idea. Also check and see if your hubs are too tight/loose. Are they sealed bearings? Try 3 and 1 oil or tri-flow around that rubber seal like element said. Keep us posted.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.