Greensboro area MTB trail map

Tagged: ,

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

We need your help creating a map of mountain bike trails in the NC Triad area (G’boro, Winston-Salem, and High Point) for display in local bike shops. A few things to keep in mind when selecting trails for the map:

1. The trails must be legal trails – no exceptions.
      2. The map should include a variety of trails for all skill level riders – from families to hard core pros. We even like to include 1 or 2 greenway / paved paths if possible.
      3. We’re limited to 15 trails per map so only the best trails should make the cut.
      4. Depending on the availability of local trails we may need to include trails up to an hour’s drive from the city center (50 miles or so).

Once we’ve built the map we’ll mail a laminated color copy to everyone who is able to help via this forum. We’ll also be mailing a copy to each of the local bike shops in the area so let us know which shops to include!

Here’s the first pass, in no particular order. Let us know which trails to cut and which one’s we’ve left off and we’ll go from there…

Bald Eagle
      Country Park
      Hagan Stone Park
      Northeast Park
      Bur Mill (Owl’s Roost)
      Reedy Creek
      Wild Turkey
      Hobby Park
      Horizon Park
      Salem Lake
      Tanglewood

Angler’s Ridge is a hot spot for Greensboro riders when they want something different and its within the 50 miole radius.

Heres the greenway trails for greensboro and the website for these trails.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/department … greenways/

Bicentennial Greenway
      Greenhaven Greenway
      Lake Brandt Greenway
      Lake Daniel Greenway
      Latham Park Greenway
      Northeast Community Trail
      Rolling Roads Greenway
      Shannon Greenway

Word, Angler’s Ridge is well worth the trip from Greensboro but it looks like Danville is just outside the Triad map area.

Thanks for the greenway list – any thoughts on which ones are the most popular? Bicentennial seems to be the longest at just over 4 miles followed by Lake Brandt (just over 2 miles).

Ok, here’s the draft Triad Area MTB trail map. I did manage to squeeze in Angler’s Ridge and Uwharrie – both great trails within reasonable driving distance.

Triad riders – please take a look at the map and let me know if there are changes that need to be made, particularly to trail difficulty ratings and/or the descriptions.

One question: Are there any legal singletrack trails at Salem Lake? Anyone know the official status?

Hey aabiking / Greensboro area riders – what do you think about the map? Any feedback before we print and send to area bike shops?

very cool Trek!

Once you complete, what different types of applications will the map be available in? Will it be printable straight from the website?

I think the descriptions are spot on, at least for the GSO trails and Danville, and Hobby.

Looks like some of your distances are considered out and back.

Wild Turkey is exactly 4.5 miles one way. 9 round trip.

Reedy Fork is 7.6 out and back both ways combined or 3.8 one way.

Owls Roost is 4.3 one way from greenway to greenway, but that does not count adding the interior fireroad option. Out and back is 8.6.

Bald Eagle out and back I measured 9.6 miles which included the loop option.

At the Hobby Park race last year, I measured 6.6 for one lap.

I hope this helps! Thanks for doing this, it looks awesome. Also, let me know if I can help out with local store info. I also would love to get some for the club, Greensboro Fat Tire Society.

Dale

"Reserverockhopper" wrote

Once you complete, what different types of applications will the map be available in? Will it be printable straight from the website?

The map will be available as a PDF download from this page and we’ll be sending laminated color copies to the local bike shops.

Good catch on the mileages, I think I’ll try to stick with an estimate of the trail length itself and make sure it’s clear these are out-and-back rides. So for Reedy Creek (or is it Reedy Fork?) we’ll call it a 4 mile out and back, for example.

It is the Reedy Fork trail that runs beside the Reedy Creek.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/department … dyFork.htm

Dale

Glad to see a couple not so close in since I suspect there won’t be lists for Danville and Troy too soon, and I didn’t know those existed.

David

I’ve been doing a little research on the Salem Lake trail situation and it sounds like the local bike shops are telling folks not to ride the singletrack. Since these maps are going to bike shops we’ll just include info on the lake trail and let folks decide whether they’re comfortable riding the "illegal" singletrack. Since it’s a bit of a gray area we’ll play it safe with the map…

great map. How can I print off a good quality copy?

You can download a PDF of the map here. Feel free to make copies if you like as well, the whole point is to spread the word!

hey Trek,

When I click on the download the pdf link, I get a "page not found" error message.

Oops, sorry ’bout that – the link is fixed now.

I just noticed that Angler’s Ridge is only showing 7 miles of trails. They currently have 17 miles of operating trails.

Good catch, map is updated.

BK

Are the trails behind Northwood elem. school in High Point legal or illegal?
      either way they are some sweet trails!

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.