great Gold Canyon, AZ Sunday, 3/10

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I think it’s the most fun trail in Arizona. In the rain enhanced zone of the Superstitions and the desert is blooming. As a landscaper and hiking guide I know many of the plants and flowers of the Sonoran.
      Meeting at Cloudview lot @ 9am with Southern Arizona Mountain Bike Assn. A cool day and I’m bringing my pointer so a farily slow paced ride. Camera suggested.

Wish I could join you–still snowed in here.

Any chance the flowers will still be in bloom end of the month?

"skibum" wrote

Wish I could join you–still snowed in here.

Peak bloom hasn’t yet arrived. It lasts about a month but many things bloom in the desert so while some of the wildflowers may have faded by then others will be starting. Brittlebush (yellow daisy) will bloom in April this year. Cactus bloom May-July.
      Tasty wolfberries should be ripe in April. They are reddish orange and round or football shaped and smaller than a pea. Healthiest fruit in the desert and it’s relative the Goji is the most nutrient dense fruit on earth. Know a lot about edibles and what’s allergenic as a landscaper and guide.
      As Tucson is a few hundred feet higher it may last a week later here. Let me know if you wish a tour of some of the local trails as I’m semi-retired.

"abegold" wrote

[quote="skibum":2gh16mab]Wish I could join you–still snowed in here.

Peak bloom hasn’t yet arrived. It lasts about a month but many things bloom in the desert so while some of the wildflowers may have faded by then others will be starting. Brittlebush (yellow daisy) will bloom in April this year. Cactus bloom May-July.
      Tasty wolfberries should be ripe in April. They are reddish orange and round or football shaped and smaller than a pea. Healthiest fruit in the desert and it’s relative the Goji is the most nutrient dense fruit on earth. Know a lot about edibles and what’s allergenic as a landscaper and guide.
      As Tucson is a few hundred feet higher it may last a week later here. Let me know if you wish a tour of some of the local trails as I’m semi-retired.[/quote:2gh16mab]

PM sent.

Blooming now: Brittlebush, bladderpod, chuparosa, Mexican Gold Poppies, lupine, amsinkia, bluedicks, phacelia, filaree, Parry Penstemon, Pigmy Daisy, Desert Chicory, tasty Peppergrass, mustards and a blackfoot daisy. More to come!

"abegold" wrote

Blooming now: Brittlebush, bladderpod, chubarosa, Mexican Gold Poppies, lupine, amsinkia, bluedicks, phacelia, filaree, Parry Penstemon, Pigmy Daisy, Desert Chicory, tasty Peppergrass, mustards and a blackfoot daisy. More to come!

I think the Encyclopedia Botanica just exploded all over this thread 😆

I’m looking forward to seeing all this flora soon! 😃

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.