Gravity Dropper or Speed Ball Seat Post

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone use the Gravity Dropper or the Speed Ball seat post. I am trying to decide which one I want and would like to know the pros and cons about each.

Nah, I have a Race Face Evolve.

The Speedball has an infinite number of positions to drop the seat.

The Gravity-Dropper has preset positions, either a 2, 3, or 4" drop, or a multi-position (Up, Down 1 inch, and Down.)

The Gravity-Dropper is available in 26.8, 27, & 27.2mm seatpost sizes, shims are needed for larger seattubes.

The Maverick Speedball is available in 30.9mm & 31.6mm sizes only, both of which are commonly used on longer-travel trailbikes.

Both have the option for a handlebar toggle switch.
      The Gravity-Dropper weighs 450g (claimed), the Speedball slightly more at 494g.
      The Speedball is a pnuematic system, the Gravity-Dropper is a mechanical/magnetic system.

Using shims on seatposts makes me nervous as they have the tendancy to slip. Overtightening a seatpost clamp with a shim is more likely to deform or crack the seattube.
      The Gravity-Dropper’s post diameter is fairly slender, compared to the Maverick offering. For someone who doesn’t ride hard, this isn’t an issue. But for a rider who does a lot of high-speed rock-gardens and drops, it very well could be.
      All told, I prefer the Speedball, and am going to get one as soon as funds allow. Being able to choose any number of positions for the seat is better in my mind than being limited to only three positions with the Gravity-Dropper.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.