GPS: Is a Garmin like a Timex?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I was just wondering what experience y’all have had with bike mounted GPS’s and how much of a lickin’ your units (GPS) have taken and been OK afterwards?? After my "hit the eject button" episode yesterday I’m questioning my idea of a bar mounted 305 (vs leaving it on my wrist).
      Thoughts or feedback??

Yeah, the Edge GPS units are very rugged, much more so than say a car GPS. Mine has survived numerous crashes and the worst I’ve had is a scratched screen.

More recently I crunched my Edge 305 while slamming the car door which put a nice slit down the middle of the screen and broke the buttons off but it still works (I do need to use a tiny allen key to hit the start button now but it’s still functional).

If you’re worried about cosmetics then yeah, maybe stick with a wrist mount. Otherwise bar mount is the way to go.

I have a Garmin ETrex Vista (B&W screen) that has made 2 combat tours to Iraq, and definetly seen it’s fair share of abuse. I think it’s safe to assume that they will keep on trucking after a few spills and tumbles.

Oh yea, my 305 is a forerunner not an edge (so I can run with it too), but I was intending on barmounting it… But yes, I could care less about cosmetics really, long as it works 😀

Anyone with durability feedback that model 205/305 FR ??

Just incase anyone else was wondering this, today I rode with someone with a 305 FS and it was effed up cosmetically 😮 , but still ticking. Good to see.

"JarheadMtnBkr" wrote

I have a Garmin ETrex Vista (B&W screen) that has made 2 combat tours to Iraq, and definetly seen it’s fair share of abuse. I think it’s safe to assume that they will keep on trucking after a few spills and tumbles.

+1

I have an old Garmin eTrex Legend (also B&W screen) that is like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going…

My eTrex hasn’t seen combat (BTW, thank you for your service, JarheadMtnBkr! 😎 ), but it has been dropped, stepped on, …you name it, and it is still going strong.

I have it mounted on the handlebars of my mtn bike with the Garmin eTrex handlebar bracket and battery backplate/mounting clip.

You can’t go wrong with Garmin. Top notch GPS units! 😃

I rode with my eTrex Legend for several years using the bar mount. This time last year it finally pooped out and wouldn’t stay on for more than a couple of seconds. However, it had a long and prosperous life while hiking, biking, geocaching, Iraq, and it was always in my backpack. Now I have the eTrex Vista HCx and it’s Legend…..wait for it……dary. After a year it’s been on the bike, on a couple of north GA hikes, and I have it with me in Iraq right now. I like to have the GPS when I’m biking in a area I’m not familiar with or somewhere new that I can snag a geocache or two.

The 1st accessory I bought for my Garmin eTrex Venture was the handlebar mount! After a hundred or so miles and a few spills, I do more damage to my wrists, lol!
      MTB + geocaching= Bliss!

My Edge 305 has survived numerous crashes whilst residing on its handle bar mount. The one time I carried it in a jersey pocket and crashed equated to a smashed screen. Numero dos going strong.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.