GPS Mapping of Trail Networks

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

What is the best way to format and submit a GPS Trax file(s) for an entire trail network. I’ve GPSed about 30 miles of a trail network in about 5 different rides (with a fair amount of overlap of trails), and subsequently have that many GPS files. I’ve been combining and editing the files in .txt format by referencing the MapSource files, and putting each individual trail in the network as a separate trail ‘segment.’ Is this format compatable with what is accepted on singletracks? I’ve submitted files before that had separate trail segments that were subsequently combined. This was not a problem when the trail was a loop or an out-and-back, but may cause problems with a network. In addition, an elevation profile could not be created for a network.

Any insights from the Webmasters (administrators) or members would be appreciated, as I think posting the entire network would be more valuable to members than just a sample of it ridden during one ride and subsequently submitted (and consequently not allowing other ‘routes’ on the same network to be submitted).

Yep, trail networks are tricky. I totally hear what you’re saying, a complete map would be ideal but what is the best way to create one? When GPS manufacturers came up with tracks they meant for tracks to be followed linearly, not just mapped like a network.

I’m beginning to think that track segments are the way to go for networks. Take a look at the Garden of the Gods map (note: you need a premium membership to view this page). Google Earth (and other programs) do a good job of color coding each segment and the profile segments are separated using vertical lines. However, this still requires riding each section separately which takes some planning and backtracking to cover an entire network.

The other option would be to have multiple track files for trails but this seems like it could be confusing. Alot of the networks here in NC are so tight that GPS tracks often appear to overlap and the maps look like a jumble. Man, networks are a bitch to document!

Give Topofusion a try for making trail networks from multiple tracks.

Scott Morris (an endurance mountain bike racer) has put together a great product that can merge multiple trails into a network. You’ll have to adjust the sensitivity in some cases, but it sure is a lot easier than modifying the gpx file as txt.

Give Topofusion a try for making trail networks from multiple tracks.

Scott Morris (an endurance mountain bike racer) has put together a great product that can merge multiple trails into a network. You’ll have to adjust the sensitivity in some cases, but it sure is a lot easier than modifying the gpx file as txt.

Topofusion is an awesome program that I am starting to appreciate more and more, especially the spline/simplify feature because some apps and sites have a limit to the number points a track can contain. For example, if I want to upload a track to my GPS MAP60, it can only have a maximum number of points of 500.

Another program that I like for making quick maps that I like to throw on my ride blog comes from GPS Visualizer, [url:wuzptmsw]http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map[/url:wuzptmsw]

I’ve just recently started uploading and downloading gps data and I’m curious to know if there’s a way to add legs or routes to existing trail entries. Take, for instance, Elk Meadow Park. Suppose someone wanted to add the Bergen Peak option, which many people consider to be some of the best riding in the area. What would be the best way for one to go about that? I suppose there’s always the option of adding a new ride altogether and naming it "Bergen Peak", but then someone who might’ve heard that there’s this great ride up at Elk Meadow Park would miss it.

arnold, the best way is to organize GPS data according to the trail descriptions on the site. For Elk Meadow/Bergen there are two separate trail descriptions (Elk Meadow | Bergen) so we’d like to keep the tracks separate.

In other cases a track may be incomplete and it may make sense to add a new segment to an existing network. To do this, just email me (jeff @ singletracks.com) the new track data and I’ll add to the existing track file.

I was wondering how you would like to handle updates. All the trails I have submitted are really part of a trail system and while there are many more trails in that area, I may have only ridden one or two, to date, but recently, I have been back these areas and have ridden different trails.

Would you like me to merge my existing submission with the next track and then send it to you?

What would be nicer is if I had a little control on updates, or since I was the original "GPS Author" for that trail system and be able to update the tracks as I get better data for that particular area.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.