Got my new bike yesterday, first ride is today

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Well guy"s its been a long time since I’ve been on the forums but here I am. Yesterday I finally paid off my 2012 Trek 4900 and today i’m hitting the trials for the first time in 9 months TODAY. I’m so excited and i’m sure yall can understand. So far today I adjusted the brake lever and shifter angel to better suite me and got the appropriate hide height set. Also installed my clip-in pedals. I’m pretty much ready to go just waiting on clothe to dry. Wish me luck guys and ill get back to everyone on how there bike handled and how the ride went

Welcome back to ridin brother!! It’s tough to get back into (shape wise) I anxious to hear how your ride went, I went today after healing for about two wks and it’s amazing how out of shape I felt

Congrats on the new ride, dude! Beat the snot out of it!

@outlawracer
      congrats on the new ride, can’t wait to read your ride report!

"1sikkHucker" wrote

I went today after healing for about two wks and it’s amazing how out of shape I felt

I think you meant to say, how amazing it felt to be on the bike again!! 😃

"slipfinger" wrote

@outlawracer
      congrats on the new ride, can’t wait to read your ride report!

[quote="1sikkHucker":1800gyfh]I went today after healing for about two wks and it’s amazing how out of shape I felt

I think you meant to say, how amazing it felt to be on the bike again!! 😃[/quote:1800gyfh]
      AMEN to that my man it did feel good (afterwards 😆 ) but yes it was great to get out there and ride, been working on my trail build which is rewarding but I like riding more

"outlawracer" wrote

Well guy"s its been a long time since I’ve been on the forums but here I am. Yesterday I finally paid off my 2012 Trek 4900 and today i’m hitting the trials for the first time in 9 months TODAY. I’m so excited and i’m sure yall can understand. So far today I adjusted the brake lever and shifter angel to better suite me and got the appropriate hide height set. Also installed my clip-in pedals. I’m pretty much ready to go just waiting on clothe to dry. Wish me luck guys and ill get back to everyone on how there bike handled and how the ride went

Awesome, let us know how it went. There’s nothing like having a new bike.

Well guys the ride went great, I got out to the trails about 2pm, and without anymore any hesitation I was off. It had been so long since I was last on a bike everything felt like a distant memory. It was like I knew what to do but reacted slow at first. So from the get go the bike seemed much faster then I remember and the braking was fanominal. There were many things that at first slowed me down. The first was picking which gear to be at while on the trail. My old bike was a 21 speed and the new one is a 30 speed, so as you can see I was confused at first, after about an hour I started getting the hang of the gearing. The second was the new bike is much stiffer and the cornering is much sharper, I also lean I bit further so my center of gravity lower. I kept taking corners like I did in my old bike and turned a bit sooner then expected. The last thing was the brakes. My old bike had v-brakes and I had outperformed the many times.The new bike had Shimano M446 hydraulic disc brakes which is an amazing upgrade from what i’m used to. I would be barreling down the trail and hit the brakes but these brakes slow me down MUCH faster then my old ones did, so I would lose my momentum and stall on the uphills. I must say i’m so excited to see how far this bike advance me on the single track. I feel this bike wont hold me back for a while. I’m extremely pleased with its performance.

Now aside from the bike, my performance on the trail was better than I expected. I figured my body was completely out of shape and would be able to ride for nearly as long as I used to, but I was wrong. I noticed my lungs and heart wore out easier than normal and biking took more out of me. My legs to had suffered just a little bit from not biking. The uphills pretty much killed my heart, lungs, and legs but that’s normal.

Guys it just felt good to be on a bike again, I missed biking as much as I missed being surrounded my nature. So that’s about it. I road for a few hours and got about 15 miles in…..my butts sore ROFLMAOS

This summer was my first experience on a MTB for a very long time, I was a roadie before. Everything you mentioned in your post is exactly the same feelings I had the first time I got out on the trails.
      I’m glad the ride went great and that you’re happy with the new bike, keep us up to date on your adventures with the new bike..

Glad to hear your back in the saddle again. I managed to do about 18 miles yesterday. Did my first endo of the year. 😆

Very nice man, so glad to hear you’re back on the bike!! Yeah, it’s amazing what nice technology can do. Of course, that performance has it’s cost…. $$$ 😕

"brianW" wrote

Glad to hear your back in the saddle again. I managed to do about 18 miles yesterday. Did my first endo of the year. 😆

Haha, very nice! Way to start the new year off right!

Well from Christmas on I have done 71 miles, and the week before did another 60 or so. I really need to log the miles/rides.

@Outlawracer welcome back brother, feels good don’t it? No worries man it’ll all come back to you in due time from conditioning and recovery, to your skills and thirst for knowledge, and to yes unfortunatly, gravity. Be safe out there bro and remember why you do it to begin with….to have fun!!

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.