GoProHD vs contourHD

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, for the last few months i’ve been wanting a video system for my bike outing and i cant decide between GoPro or contour. the GoPro picks up light better than the contour, but the contour has better color. what do you guys think?

I can’t speak to the contour, but I’ve been really pleased with my GoPro HD Hero. My biggest issue thus far has been neither lighting nor color, but trying to find the best way to deshake the .mp4s in Linux after the fact. The video quality is pretty amazing, but as with any bike video there’s plenty of shake. I’ve tried handlebar mounting, helmet mounting and fork mounting. I’ve found the fork mount to be the most stable.

I’ve also been really impressed with the durability of the case for the GoPro and how well it protects the camera. Recently I had the handlebar mount break and watched my $300 camera go tumbling down some rocks. The case had only a few scratches and the camera itself sustained no damage whatsoever.

One last minor nit…the battery life isn’t great on the GoPro, you’ll get ~3 hours max, so I bought a second battery. The problem is that there isn’t any indication when the camera battery dies, so you really have to keep checking if you want to switch batteries.

Hope this helps!

"outlawracer" wrote

Hey guys, for the last few months i’ve been wanting a video system for my bike outing and i cant decide between GoPro or contour. the GoPro picks up light better than the contour, but the contour has better color. what do you guys think?

We can speak for the hottest 3 cams in the market:

You now have to take the DriftHD 170 into consideration too. The 170degree wide angle, accessories it comes with & 1080p is pretty crazy.

We tried the GoProHD but did not like the fact that sticks so high over our head so we decided not to carry that cam on our site (Not condusive for our riding/racing), if you hit a low obsticle that damn cam goes flying off the mounts.

We’ve been extremely happy with the ContourHD 1080p and use it currently, the Cam is very durable after countless of crashes that we’ve had.

If you want, shoot us an email peb@ proedgebiker.com and we’ll make a deal that you can’t go wrong with on either a CHD1080p or the Drift HD170 1080p.

Carlos.

You might find this helpful – [url:cxldx5t7]http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/comparison_of_hd_helmet_cameras[/url:cxldx5t7]. It is a comparison table for the GoPro HD, ContourHD and also the Drift HD170 – it shows a direct comparison of the main features such as optics and video specification etc.

Main reason why we dont use the GoPro, look at the picture, that thing must be 5-6" above the helmet

"proedgebiker" wrote

Main reason why we dont use the GoPro, look at the picture, that thing must be 5-6" above the helmet

You can mount it a number of places…handlebars, fork, seat post, etc. You’re not limited to just a helmet mount…really depends on what you’re looking to capture and from what vantage point.

"Hunyuk" wrote

[quote="proedgebiker":2icw6jyx]Main reason why we dont use the GoPro, look at the picture, that thing must be 5-6" above the helmet

You can mount it a number of places…handlebars, fork, seat post, etc. You’re not limited to just a helmet mount…really depends on what you’re looking to capture and from what vantage point.[/quote:2icw6jyx]

I hear you but isnt that the case with every cam? Anyhow, We prefer to use our Helmet Cams on our Helmets. We found that the Bar mounts give you a crazy vivration and sound not even counting the left to right jerking if its on the handlebars.

I have a gopro hd and I have only used it for skiing and dirt biking but can vouch for video quality witch is great. What you see is just bout what our vid will look like, (unless you have bad eyesight) 😃 and it does wobble sometimes but not unbearably so an if you wrap some scotch tape around the clip it will make for a more snug fit. as for how far it sticks up, its sturdy enough that you don’t normally have to worry about it breaking off and on that rare occasion it will be the mounting bracket (witch can be replaced) that gives way and the camera will still be safe. other than that you just have to worry about looking like you have a toaster on your head but then people will just say "wow that guy is so kool, he has a helmet cam!!" 😎 😆

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.