GoPro tips

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I recently ended up with a GoPro and a mount for my handlebars and am messing around with it – and having fun! Any particular MTB-centric advice on GoPros any one cares to share? Settings, mounting advice, how not to smash it?

Sweet, can’t wait to see what you film!

GoPro cameras are great for mounting to helmets and bikes but they work just as well from a fixed position. Try switching things up and placing the camera in a tree, on a rock, etc. as you ride by. You can also play around with kicking dirt and leaves up onto it as you ride by for a close-up. So many possibilities with these cameras…

I use the flex clamp instead of the handlebar clamp. I found it a pain to take the gopro on and off the handlebars with the handlebar connector. The flex clamp lets me take it off the bike in a second and place it anywhere.

Hey Fitch, I’m looking to get a gopro in the next couple of months.  Which one are you using and how do you like it?  I’m considering a 4 silver or black, but not sure that I really need all the features (bells and whistles) of the black.  Plus, I would probably also prefer having the ability to do instant playback on the silver.  Any suggestions on which way to go?

I just picked up a GoPro Hero 3+Silver and so far so good. Got a 64 gig micro sd card and a Chesty for chest mounting, also a strap type helmet mount for all my POC helmets. Gonna take Jeff’s advice and explore different recording angles for different perspectives. I highly recommend GoPro’s to anyone searching for a good quality camera.

I’ve had one for a couple years now.  I have the Hero 3 Silver and it does all that I need too.  Might go up in a year or so as I am getting somewhat handy and I use the different setting for lighting and projects.  Definitely worth it to explore angles and various fixed positions as Jeff stated.  One thing to remember is that it’s an Action Cam, so don’t be too far away from what you’re actually wanting to shoot and when.  Using the app on your phone for example is a nifty way to practice this and get the feel for distance.  I love the Chesty the most because it is great for wrapping around objects such as trees or logs out on the trail to get some neat shots.  Just remember on the chesty, hang the camera upside down and then go in the setting to flip it around.  Again, using the App on a phone is super nifty to change these settings on the fly, however you run into the issue with decreased battery life.

Another thing, is heat.  These cameras can be fickle in heat.  Mine as well as other friends have had issues with high temperatures such as the summer time.  I know mine was constantly in and out when I was in Moab this August.  As a result, I missed out on some great shots and what I did get was limited.  Just an FYI.  I think newer models may be better with this.

I have used this in and out of water, with my boys (they use it), mounted on helmets, bikes, objects, RC Trucks, really the possibilities are endless.  Just imagination and will, and you can come up with some neat stuff.

Lastly, this thing is awesome for kids.  People ask me about it at the Zoo or on vacation and I tell them all the same thing …film it, built it, then play it and they will love it.  Anytime they get too rowdy …they end up watching one of their adventures!

Let us know if you have specifics.

Take care,

GT

Lots of great tips. For fixed position ride footage (I mount mine under my garmin) try microsoft hyperlapse for super smooth high speed time lapse. As for battery power I use one of these:

fitted in one of these in place of the carbon bar:

It’s a tad wider, but can fit with a little stretching, then use a 20cm or so usb lead to connect to the gopro. I have recorded over 6 hours of continuous footage and the gopro battery was still fully charged. I use a spare waterproof back with a hole cut out just big enough for the cable, and even in the worst downpours it has not let any water in.

seldomseen, that is a great tip!  Those external battery chargers are cheaper than the GoPro extended pack.  I took one with me to Moab for my phone and then had three batteries plus the extended pack all for the GoPro.  But, the heat…  That’s a cool mount, thanks for sharing!

Take care,

-GT

If you can mount t on your helmet, the video is a lot less shaky. I got sick watching the footage from the camera when mounted on the handlebars.

I took handlebar, chest and helmet mounts at Keystone in August.  The chest mount provided the best angle in my opinion with the least amount of ambient noise.

I bought the GoPro Hero that came out last year for $129.  It works fine for me (I use it maybe twice a month) and the investment is minimal.  It’s a great starter set as it doesn’t cost so much that if you quickly get addicted you can’t go upgrade, and if you do upgrade the mounts still work, but if you don’t use it as much you don’t feel like you pissed away $400.

I like using my iPhone a little better for shots of myself riding.  The editing on iMovie is super quick and the sound is better.  But the GoPro does work well for that too.

If you have a full face helmet you can raise the visor and mount it underneath. This eliminates the view with visor in way, or having to mount on side. This will work on some helmets and not so well on other full faces. I have found that mounting on handle bars gives a lot of shake. I agree that chest mount or helmet are best.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.