Good tires for Mid-atlantic trails

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking for some good tires for trails in the Virginia/Maryland area. I went out last week between the rain and ran into a few muddy spots on the trail. The Bonty tires that came on my Fisher, while being good when it’s dry, did not shed the mud lost traction after the first muddy patch. What do you suggest for those not so dry days on the trails?

I want to state that I do try to stay off the trails when they are wet, but sometimes the low spots hold onto that water for days after the rain stops.

Thanks!

I’ve had good luck with Kenda Nevegals. They grip well on rocks wet and dry. As far as for mud, I don’t know. Our trails are all rock and shale. My Nevegals worked well in Slatyfork WV – a mountain top brown mud farm, but mud seems to vary a lot depending on the soil type.
      That WV mud sheds easily. I would think Piedmont red clay would be some of the worst for loading up in your tires.

Nevegals are soft, don’t last very long, and aren’t great rollers. Hard to get it all in one tire. I’m trying out some Maxxis Ignitors now. I’ve notice that they slip a little where my Nevegal would not, but they seem like good all around tires.

I have had very good luck with two sets of tires:
      1. WTB Velociraptors
      2. Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Both tires work exceptionally well in all conditions, but the Velociraptors have much better traction in the mud, while the Panaracers have less rolling resistance. I would recommend both tires for this area of riding. I hope this helps.

+1 on the Velociraptors

I had the same problem with the tires that came on my Fisher. They didn’t shed mud, and they didn’t grip in the corners like I was used to. I swapped them out for Velociraptors and have been pretty pleased with them.

A buddy of mine just got a new bike that came with Kenda Small Block 8s. He liked them okay at first, but after riding a couple of times when the trails were slightly wet, he is thinking about swapping for Velociraptors as well, which he had on his old bike.

I love my Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires.

I dont think it matters what you get if it is really muddy. Every tire is going to either slip around or collect the mud.

The Fire XC really grabs well.

I’m up in Northern VA and I just mounted up a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro’s on my Fisher Marlin, and gonna give em a go at some of the trails here on Quantico after work today. Good to hear that they are pretty good tires for this region. I’ll let you guys know how they work out.

"JarheadMtnBkr" wrote

I’m up in Northern VA and I just mounted up a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro’s on my Fisher Marlin, and gonna give em a go at some of the trails here on Quantico after work today. Good to hear that they are pretty good tires for this region. I’ll let you guys know how they work out.

Are the trails at Quantico open to the public, or do you have to be based there?

"fleetwood" wrote

Are the trails at Quantico open to the public, or do you have to be based there?

I’ll have to check on that one for ya, but I’m pretty sure that they are open to the public. You just have to let the Military Police at the gate know your intentions and have a valid drivers license. On a side note the Panaracer Fire XC Pros worked GREAT on the Quantico trails today…and it was a soupy run to say the least!

"JarheadMtnBkr" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":l9gt1k8o]

I’ll have to check on that one for ya, but I’m pretty sure that they are open to the public. You just have to let the Military Police at the gate know your intentions and have a valid drivers license. On a side note the Panaracer Fire XC Pros worked GREAT on the Quantico trails today…and it was a soupy run to say the least![/quote:l9gt1k8o]

Not a side note at all. I’m the one that got off topic. And I’m about to do it again. 3..2..1…is this where you ride: http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … trail.html

If so, I’ve been reading up on the trail network here: http://www.quanticomtb.org/index.php?op … &Itemid=26

Dang it! Another one to add to my list! 😃

"fleetwood" wrote

Not a side note at all. I’m the one that got off topic. And I’m about to do it again. 3..2..1…is this where you ride: http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … trail.html

If so, I’ve been reading up on the trail network here: http://www.quanticomtb.org/index.php?op … &Itemid=26

Dang it! Another one to add to my list! 😃

Yes that is the trail that I was riding today. I’ll have to see about getting some updated pics of the various trail sections up here. I think I’m gonna ride it again this weekend (try and drag my buddy and his brother out). There are some parts that can get pretty challenging (Powerline trail has massive ups and downs) and there are parts that can get pretty technical as well. It’s a good ride.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.