Goat heads

Tagged: ,

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

So I have a friend who moved from Michigan to Bakersfield CA. All i hear about are these goat heads. Popping tires every other day – and he rides in town. So LBS put liners in his tubes, but still he complains about these goat heads.
      What does everyone else do?
      Please fill me in and I’ll pass the info along.

Also – Mold Spores? Spores in the air – and you need a mask to ride….is there a time of year you don’t need a mask? What does everyone else do?

Thanks in advance
      pb

Goat heads: tubeless, it’s the only solution.

Mold spores: no idea.

You can put sealant in regular tubes (or buy pre-slimed tubes), and that will take care of goat heads as well. However, that doesn’t offer some of the other benefits of going tubeless.

I’ve done it this way too. It makes an already heavy tube even heavier, but it does work. Caffelatex sealant seems to work particularly well inside a tube .. better than in it does in a tubeless setup even.

If you’re a serious rider, and live in a place with goatheads, just go tubeless and get it over with. It’s worth the effort.

I heard of some guys lining the inside of the tire with that Fed EX material they use for the envelopes.. Its lightweight and tough to penetrate I guess…. Just Grapevine info I thought I would pass on. It makes sense though..

"Spartan" wrote

I heard of some guys lining the inside of the tire with that Fed EX material they use for the envelopes.. Its lightweight and tough to penetrate I guess…. Just Grapevine info I thought I would pass on. It makes sense though..

People have tried all kinds of crazy things like that out here. In the end it’s more work that going tubeless .. and you end up with heavy, stiff tires.

As for Greg’s tube tip, that’s what I did on the fat bike.

Tubeless. Same issue along water in the south, they’re everywhere down there.

Daughter and I went out for a ride last night .. short-cutted across an intersection and picked up about 20 or so between us.

Related story, Orange Seal did better than Stan’s.

Thanks guys for all the replys – I have done a ok job cutting and pasting them into e-mail form and sending them on thier way to California.

I sure hope he goes tubeless.

pb

And for us New Englanders… what exactly are "goat heads?"

"Fitch" wrote

And for us New Englanders… what exactly are "goat heads?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

Goat heads are small thorns with rounded balls on one end that fall off of certain plants (anyone know which type?). The nasty thing is they’ll detach from the plant and fall in the trail tread, get blown around, etc. I’ve done rides where I’ve come back with a half-dozen goat heads in a tire.

Those things are nasty… best solution is to go tubeless!

Edit: see maddslacker’s post

I pulled another handful out of the fatty from A 3.5 mile around the neighborhood the other day.

In related news, Orange Seal FTW.

The others are spot on, tubeless with sealant is the best solution. You’ll find this flower plant in warm tropical type areas, and even more along water in this particular climate. Doesn’t matter if it’s U.S. or foreign, these can end a ride real quick. and you won’t even see it coming! 😆 Take care.

-GT

I know there is gonna be alot of people disagreeing with me but Where I Ride we have alot of thorn trees I was getting Flats everytime I went for a ride so I started to run extra thick tubes with slime in them been running them for years with no Flats. Yes people are gonna argue they are heavy but this is what has worked for me with less mess

"Demonrunner" wrote

I know there is gonna be alot of people disagreeing with me but Where I Ride we have alot of thorn trees I was getting Flats everytime I went for a ride so I started to run extra thick tubes with slime in them been running them for years with no Flats. Yes people are gonna argue they are heavy but this is what has worked for me with less mess

Have you tried tubeless? If your wheels are able to set up tubeless, give it a go you will not be disappointed!

I just went Tubeless with schwalbe tires and my dtswiss rims…so far so good. Anyone know of better valve stems to buy? I did have a hard time getting the tire to inflate and could hear a lot of air by the valve stem.

"smcohen22" wrote

I just went Tubeless with schwalbe tires and my dtswiss rims…so far so good. Anyone know of better valve stems to buy? I did have a hard time getting the tire to inflate and could hear a lot of air by the valve stem.

What did you use as a rim strip? I’ve had great success with Gorilla tape and WTB valve stems and they come in pretty colors, black, red and blue.

I have a lot of success with Stan’s with little or no issues…
      Mind you there are other brands…

Goat heads are the SEEDS of Puncture Vine (Tribulus terrestris). Mediterranean plant that has spread through much of the warm, dry climate parts of the world. These seeds are MEAN. Whether in a dogs paws, your shoes or tires the seeds are tough and sharp. In Mexico they’re called El Toriador, the bull, as they are that mean.
      For years I’ve pulled almost every plant I see, especially in my neighborhood. If you do, try to get all the seeds in the trash before they fall off the 1" tall, yellow flowering vines. These are invaders, trash them.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.