Go Pro

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

One of my x-mas presents was a Go Pro camera. For those of you who have one, where do you mount yours? I tried putting it on my helmet, but it’s too top heavy. Oh yeah, my other present was a 2012 Trek Superfly!

Buy the Chesty mount. IMO, it’s one of the best. And I’ve never had a problem with my go pro hero 1 or 2 being too heavy. Even with the lcd backpack on it. You don’t want to mount it on the handlebars, because it’s too much shaking. I would try the chesty, then helmet, then seatpost facing forward, then backwards if you have someone riding with you, in that order. If you need any help with working it pm me. Good luck

Second vote for chest mount. reverse the mount on the chest piece and then flip the video in the editor to get it back to right-side up.

I just ordered myself a Go Pro last night, got the HD Helmet Hero 1080p Sports & Helmet Camera with chest mount and spare rechargeable battery all for $229.00 CAD. My wife is going to kill me but it was $150 off regular price how can I say no?

"schwim" wrote

Second vote for chest mount. reverse the mount on the chest piece and then flip the video in the editor to get it back to right-side up.

Whats the reason for doing this?

The chest mounts(or at least all the chest mounts I’ve worked with) will allow you to tilt the camera in only one direction due to it’s hinge system. If you leave the camera right side up, you can film the top tube of your bike or tilt it lower to film your cranks 😀 The chest mount allows you to reverse the camera, so you can use the hinge to bring the field of view to what’s in front of you. Of course, once you flip the camera, your video is upside-down, so you need to use software to flip the image back over.

Congrats on the new camera man! Check out this blog post I wrote for singletracks on exactly this topic: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … -the-trai/

Done a fair amount of recreational gopro recording biking,sking and windsurfing. Some of the best filming on the bike was done buy hand at different angles while riding and passing it off to my son. One thing that doesn’t work in texas is riding midday thru the cedar trees- too much light/contrast. Enjoy that thing it’s fun.

One more thing. I think you’re explanation might be a little confusing. What he means is since you have to mount the camera upside down to get the FOV pointed in front of you down the trail, the video is upside down. There’s a setting on the GoPro where you can change it to upside down mode. This actually flips the video for you, so when you plug it into your computer and watch them, they are normal looking. 😃

Finally got my Go Pro today. Local electronics shop has the LCD bac pac on sale ending today ($75), for you guys that own one is the LCD worth it? Do you find yourself viewing images or video out in the field?
      I think it would be useful when setting up to shot, unless there is another way, I have not even opened the box yet. How do you guys adjust the camera to make sure you’re shooting what you what to shoot and not the air or ground, without the LCD?

I love this toy! I went riding on New Year’s day and have watched the video 4 times already! For those of you who are thinking about getting one, just do it!

"slipfinger" wrote

Finally got my Go Pro today. Local electronics shop has the LCD bac pac on sale ending today ($75), for you guys that own one is the LCD worth it? Do you find yourself viewing images or video out in the field?
      I think it would be useful when setting up to shot, unless there is another way, I have not even opened the box yet. How do you guys adjust the camera to make sure you’re shooting what you what to shoot and not the air or ground, without the LCD?

It’s absolutely 100% worth it imo, not only does it help you frame shots and make sure you got the angles set right, but if you set the FOV narrower it can work pretty swell for off the bike shots too!

"zimmer68" wrote

It’s absolutely 100% worth it imo, not only does it help you frame shots and make sure you got the angles set right, but if you set the FOV narrower it can work pretty swell for off the bike shots too!

Thanks for the feed back zimmer, I told my wife I had to go to Homedepot, made a detour and grabbed the LCD. I figured might as well get it while it’s on sale can always return it if the you guys give it the thumbs down.

If anyone has anymore input, fire away please!!

Thanks

Oh yeah. 100% worth it. The ONLY downside I’ve seen while using it is the added weight when using with the vented helmet strap on a lightweight mtb helmet. or the added thickness with the head strap. It won’t allow the angle to be straight forward. But those are small deals compared to how awesome it is.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.