Ghost shifting?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Have noticed lately that any time I go over a large dip on the trail I seem to ghost shift when pedaling over the other side. I am riding a HiFi 29er and was wondering if anybody had any idea as to why this is happening? Not sure if I need to add some air psi to my rear shock or what. Any advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I can’t help you on that, but a similar thing happened to me over the weekend. My bike shifted gears totally on its own. I hadn’t just recently shifted and didn’t have my fingers on the shifters. My riding buddy suggested my bike was like the K.I.T.T. car: [i:3rmv6hbi]Michael, I do believe you need to be in a lower gear. [shift].[/i:3rmv6hbi]

(some of you young ‘uns might not get the reference)

You might want to check your chain for a tight link. Those are often the culprit for ghost shifts. Pedal it in reverse and watch the chain. You’ll notice the tight links because they won’t sit down on the cogs cleanly. Not sure why reverse seems to make the issue more evident but it always works for me.

Cool I will check tht out. In the future I will trty and post in the right forum 😳 Thanks for all your help and the quick replies.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

Not sure why reverse seems to make the issue more evident but it always works for me.

reverse works because the chain is not under tension, when you pedal in the drive direction your putting tension on the chain causing the tight link to be pulled and forced to move with the rear pulleys.

the ghost shifting could also be caused by too short derailer housing or dirt and grim in the housing making the inner wire freeze up and not go back to its normal postion after the bumps that you hit, after you check for the tight link and it still has the gost shift problem you shoud probably let the air out of your shock and move the rear thru its travel to see if the derailer housing is being stretched and while doing that look to see if the inner wire is moving the rear derailer, if so thats probably the reason for the ghost shift and you should try and replace it with longer housing, but if the inner wire is moving and not coming back right away you could try to just replace that and see if it fixes your problem, if neither of those work then its probably bad cable routing and thiers not much you can do about that.

oh i forgot, the ghost shifting could also be from a poorly adjusted rear derailer.

"trailrider247" wrote

[quote="GoldenGoose":14ah7yhd]Not sure why reverse seems to make the issue more evident but it always works for me.

reverse works because the chain is not under tension, when you pedal in the drive direction your putting tension on the chain causing the tight link to be pulled and forced to move with the rear pulleys.
      [/quote:14ah7yhd]

Got to love simple answers! Most times the simplest solution is also the best. It’s so obvious too!

The miss aligned rear derailleur could be the problem for sure. However at times I have come across older FS bikes to generate ghost shifting due to flex in the pivots. That could also be something to check.

Thank you all for your input it has helped an amazing amount. After trying a few suggestions I ended up taking my bike back to the shop I bought it from Bicycle Toy and Hobby…"shameless plug". If you buy your bike there they tune up for free for life. I had the same problem So I noticed that when I was riding in the middle ring on the front, and 4 or below on the back it ghost shifted. If I went above 5 on the cassette I was fine. I dropped to the small ring on the front and played in some different gears on the cassette and had no problem. I believe some of my problem was riding my new 29er to much like I rode my old 26er. Does this make sense? Sorta seemed like I might have been stressing it with out realizing it.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.