Getting my Girl on a Bike

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

My girlfriend says "she has signed her life away" but all she did was agree to ride a mountain bike with me.

she has one its a schwinn but a decent one, nothing special but the components are SRAM with a shimano acera rear deraluer.

the bike isnt the problem, problem is i don’t know where to take her. i want someplace in N GA that isnt too far away and is really smooth, but not a road…

shes real small and not really an athlete. i really want her to like it so im tryig to figure out how to make it a good experience for the both of us.

anyone know a good place? i was thinking of taking her to GSC, but i dunno if that would be too much for her there are only a few parts that would give her trouble….

GSC would be great I think. It’s short, pretty smooth, not technical, but still a fun mtn bike trail. I’ve taken beginers there before and they enjoyed it.

Let her lead, so she can set the pace. Take breaks when needed. Don’t push her, and be encouraging. And have fun!

"dgaddis" wrote

GSC would be great I think. It’s short, pretty smooth, not technical, but still a fun mtn bike trail. I’ve taken beginers there before and they enjoyed it.

Let her lead, so she can set the pace. Take breaks when needed. Don’t push her, and be encouraging. And have fun!

Good advice! I’ve ridden GSC with my wife, and she really liked it!

I’d say go for it man.

PS Fun riding with you the other day… we’ll have to do it again.

I’m trying to get my girlfriend out on the trails a bit more with me too and you have the right idea by not jumping into the more technical trails to start with.I have a tendency to slightly push her more than I should but I won’t go take her on trails she can’t handle.

We went Tuesday morning to ride Santos with Chilipepper and his wife and son and we hit a blue trail waiting on them,but when we all met up and it was red trail time,his wife and my girlfriend went off to ride the easier trails while Chilipepper,his son and I went to bounce through the rocky technical stuff.

As far as being out in front,my girlfriend needs a bit more experience on a bike before that will help,she’s still learning ways to hit certain things by watching me but I will occasionally stick her in the front to make her think for herself and pick her own lines.

"GALAXY" wrote

As far as being out in front,my girlfriend needs a bit more experience on a bike before that will help,she’s still learning ways to hit certain things by watching me but I will occasionally stick her in the front to make her think for herself and pick her own lines.

Good point, and I think it all depends on the trail. GSC is basically a dirt sidewalk thru the woods. It’s fun tho, you can fly if you want. If you let her lead, tell her to stop if she isn’t sure how to ride something, and you can show her. If you lead you have to be careful about not going too fast and make her feel like she has to keep up. She’ll get stressed out, and push harder than she should. And you don’t want to drop her and leave her by herself either. That’s why I let my wife lead.

This is all good advice with any beginner by the way, not just girlfriends/wives. If you push a beginner too hard they will not have fun and probably wont come back.

guess we’ll go to GSC, i started there. she hasnt been on a bike in a while so im not sure what/if shes capable of…

GSC is a pretty easy trail, there are just a few parts like the drop in at the start and such that she will probably walk…but those parts are my favorite parts!

at Goo:

heck yeah we can ride anytime man, if youre free on tuesdays i’ll meet you there every week, i know i was kinda holding you up but that was actually kinda nice to get humbled!

[url:3mo1iqzb]http://gainesvillesorba.org/wordpress/?p=673[/url:3mo1iqzb]

^^thats the thing at chicopee i was talking about btw^^

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="GALAXY":bo8od74f]As far as being out in front,my girlfriend needs a bit more experience on a bike before that will help,she’s still learning ways to hit certain things by watching me but I will occasionally stick her in the front to make her think for herself and pick her own lines.

Good point, and I think it all depends on the trail. GSC is basically a dirt sidewalk thru the woods. It’s fun tho, you can fly if you want. If you let her lead, tell her to stop if she isn’t sure how to ride something, and you can show her. If you lead you have to be careful about not going too fast and make her feel like she has to keep up. She’ll get stressed out, and push harder than she should. And you don’t want to drop her and leave her by herself either. That’s why I let my wife lead.

This is all good advice with any beginner by the way, not just girlfriends/wives. If you push a beginner too hard they will not have fun and probably wont come back.[/quote:bo8od74f]

The key is to know how hard to push that specific individual. I got taken to some of the most technically demanding trails in Central Wisconsin on my first ride. Thing is, the person that took me there knew i’d appreciate it if i got my butt handed to me. I loved it!

"FBTrek321" wrote

guess we’ll go to GSC, i started there. she hasnt been on a bike in a while so im not sure what/if shes capable of…

GSC is a pretty easy trail, there are just a few parts like the drop in at the start and such that she will probably walk…but those parts are my favorite parts!

at Goo:

heck yeah we can ride anytime man, if youre free on tuesdays i’ll meet you there every week, i know i was kinda holding you up but that was actually kinda nice to get humbled!

[url:192wvfod]http://gainesvillesorba.org/wordpress/?p=673[/url:192wvfod]

^^thats the thing at chicopee i was talking about btw^^

Yeh man, I’ll text you or something about next week.

And that thing at chicopee looks like fun! Don’t know if I have enough $$ for it or not.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.