Getting Back on Singletrack

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I just wanted to post a little thing about my excitement and love for the sport of mountain biking.
      I’m not new to the sport, I like to call myself a "professional amateur" actually ;) but I recently upgraded my bike, and now the spark has been rekindled in my heart.
      I used to have an OLD Huffy something that got me started. Her name was Franzi. She had a steel frame, totally rigid, and when I got her she was used. Very used. I got her from my neighbor who didn’t want her anymore after he ran the front wheel over with his truck (good reasoning). My dad and I straightened out the wheel, but obviously it was never perfect, and the whole bike was always a little… sketchy? Just don’t tell Franzi I said that.
      She gave me 5 or 6 good summers of trail riding, and one good winter of transportation at college before I decided it was time to move on. Long story short, I went to an online site that I may not be able to legally mention the name of, but they advertise on Singletracks.com, so I figured they were reputable. I’m a college student, so I bought the cheapest bike they had that fit the specs of what I wanted. That bike was a Motobecane 300 HT. It was delivered last week, and yesterday I finally got the chance to take it out!
      I was pleasantly surprised that my boyfriend was actually the one who wanted to go. He’s never gone before, but I think he has been intrigued by the fact that of all his manly friends, his girlfriend is the one who goes mountain biking! (The bike shorts could have been a factor too…) He has a decent bike, just a Walmart type one, but on the high end of the spectrum in my opinion. He had a few problems relating to loose screws and nuts (his seat would move if he put too much weight on it, and his handlebars nearly fell off), but he was a trooper and he really enjoyed it! We were both very disappointed that we had to cut our ride short because of his difficulties.
      Even with a shortened trip though, I realized what I had been missing all this time, and I wondered how I had forgotten the thrills! The two of us have decided to make mountain biking a regular thing (after tightening his bike up a bit, that is), and I can’t even express how excited I am about starting up again!
      So anyways, I just wanted to share my joy and story with all who can relate!

Happy trails!!!!

Welcome and be sure to build yourselves a basic toolkit and you’ll be able to handle anything like that without ruining your ride!

Welcome! That sounded like a memorable first ride!

Nothing like the rush of hauling ass down hill after a hard climb.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.