getting back into MTB and new bike question

Mountain bike trails & Mountain bike reviews Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum getting back into MTB and new bike question

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,
      I used to mountain bike in highschool, but I ended up getting my bike stolen and didn’t have the cash to get a new one. I picked up a cannondale f400 cad2 off of my buddy for pretty much free earlier this year. For the most part, I like it. I dislike the grip shift though. Ive never ridden full suspension bike, so I have no idea how the two compare. I came across a cannondale super v raven 800 at a new/used sportshop. The guy was offering it for 550. it had a few aftermarket items such as shocks and some other stuff. I took it for a test ride down the street, and it wasn’t shifting into all the gears. Is that a big problem, or something a tune up or relatively easy fix can take care of? If I traded in my bike he would drop the price to 425. is that worth it?

thanks in advance.

Psicko,
      Welcome back to the community!

Regarding your bike dilemma:
      Odd shifting can indeed be a matter of a simple tuneup. Unfortunately, it may mean a new parts, like a cable ($15), derailleur hanger (25$) or the derailleur itself ($100) or even a bent, warped, or twisted frame. Sometimes it can be hard to tell.

The Raven was an awesome bike in it’s day, but it has no comparison to today’s suspension designs. On the other hand, the F400 is as capable as today’s hardtails (setting aside the 29" wheel movement).

Given the risk associated, I’d probably keep the ol’ hardtail, and use the $425 as seed money toward a newer full suspension bike if you really decide you want to go that route. Unless you’re riding somewhere with lots of rocky gnar, you may even be just as happy with the ol’ hardtail in the long run as well.

John- Thanks for the help. I did read some stuff here after I posted, Ill change a few things on my current bike, and just give it some time. Ill probably upgrade to trigger shifters on my current bike.

For what it’s worth, the world of MTBing has some SERIOUSLY new technology to what it was 10 years ago. I’m wildly out of the loop and am continuously blown away by what I see.

I bought my FS bike on a whim for $1400 or so a few years back, and I really regret not having done more homework before hand. I’ve gotten my money’s worth, but if you’re going to spend a few hundred or $1,000+, you should really do some research, demo some bikes, and talk to informed riders about what’s out there.

As a musician, we say "buy once/ cry once" with the thought that spending $500 one year and then spending $1000 the next (to upgrade) isn’t wise. I’d do the same with the bike – find the true ride for you, put down the good money, and enjoy the heck out of what you get.

Well my MTB experience is limited, but for what it’s worth:

I began back in high school riding full suspension, but Walmart Mongooses. Now I ride an entry level Specialized hardtail. The ride was much smoother on the Mongoose…for the 3 months it lasted before I tore up the cheap components. Once the bike was torn up, it was years before getting back into it. But I can definitely say I enjoy the Specialized a lot more despite the rougher ride. Maybe it’s the 29" wheels or maybe it’s having a bike that can take some abuse, aside from the cheap fork. But overall, if it were me, I’d keep the current bike maintained and save for a good FS.

"Psicko" wrote

Hello,
      I used to mountain bike in highschool, but I ended up getting my bike stolen and didn’t have the cash to get a new one. I picked up a cannondale f400 cad2 off of my buddy for pretty much free earlier this year. For the most part, I like it. I dislike the grip shift though. Ive never ridden full suspension bike, so I have no idea how the two compare. I came across a cannondale super v raven 800 at a new/used sportshop. The guy was offering it for 550. it had a few aftermarket items such as shocks and some other stuff. I took it for a test ride down the street, and it wasn’t shifting into all the gears. Is that a big problem, or something a tune up or relatively easy fix can take care of? If I traded in my bike he would drop the price to 425. is that worth it?

thanks in advance.

[url:3q1r6fny]http://www.bikepedia.com/Search.aspx?Q=cannondale%20f400[/url:3q1r6fny]

The Cannondale f400 cad2 came in several different versions over the years.
      Brakes- They all had canti-brakes. Canti-brakes are extremely limiting compared to modern disc brakes.
      Shifters- Grip shifts were available on 1998 and 1999, and the later versions had paddle shifters.
      Forks- The earliest versions (1998) had a Rock Shox Indy S front suspension fork at around 50mm travel. Some of the later ones (1999 – 2002) came with a Headshok P-Bone M front fork at 60mm travel. The newest ones (2003 – 2006) came with a HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL at 80mm. At best, all of these forks are considered to be "pogo-stick" forks compared to what is available now-a-days.

I also looked at the information for the Super V Raven 800. Don’t waste your money on the Super V. Most of the biggest advancements in mountain biking are brakes, suspension forks, shifters, and tires. Ride what you brought! Ride it till the wheels fall off! Just don’t hurt yourself trying to do advanced trails on a bike like this. You do not need an expensive bike to improve your cardio and your skills. It is amazing what you can do with a simple bike.

If something breaks on this bike, then inexpensive part upgrades are OK. Just don’t fall into the trap of throwing a bunch of money on upgrades for this bike. A single higher end upgrade part can easily cost more than this whole bike new. If you decide later on to upgrade to a better bike, then no regrets. This bike would have served it’s purpose.

Have fun riding it.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.