Georgia MTB trails with camping

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

taking some time Off with the family end of March going to Georgia. Can anyone tell me which trail or trails I should visit? Looking for a place we can car camp as well, thanks

Cloudland Canyon has a great campground and the biking at nearby Five Points is excellent. There is car camping available at Bull / Jake Mountain too, but no running water so it’s pretty primitive. Fort Mountain State Park has a nice campground, though the trails in the park are pretty challenging.

South of the mountains, Indian Creek State Park could be a good choice. The biking at Dauset is great, and I believe there is even a connector trail from the state park. There’s also Fort Yargo State Park which has a pretty nice XC-style loop, plus camping in the park.

A lot of the campgrounds in the mountains are closed for the season until May which will limit your choices somewhat.

Interesting Jeff that the campgrounds in GA would be closed through the winter and spring.  It seems like there would be a lot of nice days to camp and recreate in the region during those months.  What’s your take on it?

It’s probably a combination of budget constraints and a lack of demand. Winter can be pretty cold and wet in the north Georgia mountains.

Hello Jmoser, I’m planning on doing the exact same thing! Leaving March 31st for a week in Georgia!

I’ll be staying at Cloudland from Sunday until Thursday, then packing up and heading a bit East to Mulberry Gap from Thursday to Saturday. If you see a green Forester with Wisconsin tags, stop by my campsite and say hi! I’ll probably have a white trailer with a green EZ-up.

Ivan

Hi CraZivn… thanks will do. If you see a black Honda Pilot with a roof basket full of stickers just say hi, it might be me! LOL

Yes! Totally forgot about Mulberry Gap. Recommended! Get the meal plan so you don’t even have to worry about cooking.

Will keep an eye out for sure! If you catch me early enough in my trip I might still have some Wisconsin-born New Glarus craft beer aboard which I’m happy to share!

Ivan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.