Gearing a SS 29 er.

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am new to mountain biking and am looking for some help. I purchased a single speed Origin 8 Scout 29er and have realized that a geared bike would probably make my life a lot easier as I get more in shape and used to riding. Are there some recommendations as to the best way to turn my SS into a 1×8 or 1×6?
      Thanks,
      Eric

What wheels are on the bike, the rear especially. If it’s a SS specific wheel you’ll need a new wheel. If not, you’ll need a cassette, rear derailleur and shifter, chain, and a chainguide up front to keep the chain on the chainring. It can get expensive fast. You could always swap to slightly easier gearing on the SS, it will make you strong!

Haha, thank God I didn’t purchase a single speed as an introduction to the hobby. I would have handed it to whoever I saw first on the trail and walked back to the car.

If you have any interest in working up to the single speed, I would consider finding an economical(read: used) geared bike. There are some fantastic deals to be found, especially during this time of the year and you’ll have the ability to pick and choose. Converting it over is pricey and time consuming enough that you’ll never want to do it "on the spur of the moment".

Two cents and all that 😀

Depends on the rear dropouts on the bike. If the dropouts are SS only, you may be SOL

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.