Garmin Edge 305 for MTB?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Sup guys? I don’t normally use a computer on my MTB, I kind of like not worrying about extra stuff to look at that’s not trail 😀 Recently, however, I’ve realized that I spend 99% of my bike time on my MTB not my road bike. Thus I have an Edge 305 with cadence/heartrate monitor just sitting around collecting dust. I’ve seen a lot of comments of people using them and have thought it would fit right there in the middle on my stem nice and comfy. I’m worried about damaging it though, what do you guys think? I hate to let it waste, but don’t wanna trash it either. 😏

Dude, the Edge 305 is ultra rugged – you shouldn’t have any problems on the trail. I’ve tried riding with several other GPS units mounted to my handlebars and none of them are as solid as the Edge GPS units. You can drop the 305 and it will be fine most times plus dirt is much more kind than asphalt 😀 I may have picked up a scratch or two on mine over the years but nothing major.

I will caution you that the mounting clip will eventually wear out over time, whether you ride on the road or the trail. Both of my clips are broken but I the mount is still useable – just add a rubber band and go!

Now I hear some people ride trails with iPhones mounted to handlebars these days – that’s definitely not something I’d want to try 😀

Yeah I think it works just fine, with the exception of my last one. Putting that aside if you are worried about it being damaged on the stem, you can throw it in a pack or something. The only downfall to that is you won’t really be able to see it unless stop.

A better way is to make a gnarly holder for it. Take a look at http://www.instructables.com and just search for "GPS Holder" and take a gander. I think I remember seeing like a bombproof / super shock absorbing one, or something to that effect.

Well, I went ahead and mounted it this weekend and yesterday went out for 13.72 miles on the gravel. I must admit, I’ve missed having a comp. on my bike and I realized just how much I love my GPS. I rearranged the screen a bit since I’m not using the cadence monitor on my mtn bike, so I was looking at the wrong numbers there for a while but definately glad I descided to mount it.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.