funny Craigslist "ad"

Forums Mountain Bike Forum funny Craigslist "ad"

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

I found this on the Richmond Craigslist site today. Some of it is pretty funny. Enjoy.

Stolen from the Omaha Craigslist: Wed, 1 Apr 14:31 CDT

Seems like the prices on the Richmond bike craigslist are out of control. So, in reponse, I offer this gem.

So, you’ve got a winner there, huh?

I’ve bitten my tongue for months but I can’t take it anymore! Everyone has the right to sell their bikes for whatever they want but there needs be a sanity check on those who don’t know what they’re talking about. I know the economy is bad and you might have found a "jewel" in the rough but for crying out loud – do some research.

The following is a guide for those of you who are absolutely clueless about your garage sale or thrift store finds.

1) Just because your bike was made in Europe doesn’t mean you’ve got a winner. They made alot of junk, too.
      2) A low end bike that was $97.00 in 1976 is not magically worth $400.00 now.
      3) Adult bikes don’t have goosenecks.
      4) If we can see that the chain is rusty in the picture, automatically grade the bike as "crappy".
      5) If you get asked how many speeds it has and don’t know, immediately pull your ad.
      6) Telling us that you found it in a barn is not a rationale for you overpricing it.
      7) Take the $10 price tag from when it didn’t sell at the garage sale off the seat before you take your CL pic and ask $250 for it.
      8 ) "Light and FAST!" . . . o.k., if you say so.
      9) Not everything with those cooky, curvy handlebars is a race bike.
      10) Don’t be offended if someone offers you an insulting amount less than you want for your bike – they’re just smarter than you.
      11) Tires are tires and wheels are wheels. These terms are not interchangable.
      12) Breaks should be referred to as "brakes", petles or petals as "pedals".
      13) Your bike was not made by Shimano. I know you saw that name somehwere on it but trust me on this one.
      14) Vintage implies it was worth something when it was new, otherwise it’s just old.
      15) High tensile steel – yeah, they put a sticker on the bike that says it but I wouldn’t be bragging about it.
      16) And finally – go ahead and repost that 10 speed Huffy every week – no one will tire of its charm. If you’re willing to endure the humiliation, we’ll be there for you until you reach your target market.

I hope this has cleared up some things for the cycling-challenged sellers.

😆 Nice.

Going the other way, if you find a bike that seems way too CHEAP, it’s probably:

1. A scam.
      2. Stolen.
      3. Been involved in a major crash (cracked frame).

A friend recently told me about an ad for two sweet Giant carbon road bikes (his and hers) and the price was way too low (like less than $1,000). In this case I’m pretty sure the whole thing was a scam where the seller would ask for money up front or arrange to meet you in a dark alley somewhere 😀

Great Post. Sadly, somebody somewhere still falls for that stuff…

i tend to buy very little of anything off the internet. in most cases, i would prefer to spend extra just to be able to check out exactly what i’m buying and be sure that i really do want it.

I hear you on that one Goo. Saving money is one thing but I don’t mind that little extra for the peace of mind (and the instant gratification).

Funny Fleetwood 😆 I haven’t played around too much on Craigslist or those types of sites so i haven’t seen those adds first hand.

Reminds me of the antique store – second hand store diliemna. Just because something is old and wore out doesn’t necessarily make it more valuable.

complaining about how or what people post on craig’s list is silly to me. The seller may be ignorant, but who are They to post another listing on craig’s list with comments that trash the seller? I get annoyed by people like that who think they are sooo smart that they have the right to chasitise people and post Another Craig’s List Ad with things commenting on someones listing. it shows how imature and juvanile they are to post comments like that On Craig’s List. If the bike does not sell, maybe the seller will get the point, but treating people like crap is never a good thing.

(Edited so people may understand I was talking about the people on Craig’s List who post these type of Craig’s list adds. Geezz)

"darrinw2001" wrote

complaining about how or what people post on craig’s list is silly to me. They may be ignorant, but who are you to post comments like that? I get annoyed by people like that who think they are sooo smart that they have the right to chastise people and post things commenting on someones listing. it shows how immature and juvenile they are to post comments like that. If the bike does not sell, maybe the seller will get the point, but treating people like crap is never a good thing.

I think fleetwood was agreeing with the Craigslist poster…

Oh, and I’ve gone ahead and corrected your spelling for you. 😼

We circulate stuff like this in the industry I work in, IT:

Technical Support Request Form For Dummies

1. Describe your problem:

2. Now, describe the problem accurately:

3. Speculate wildly about the cause of the problem:

4. Problem Severity:
      A. Minor__
      B. Minor__
      C. Minor__
      D. Trivial__

5. Nature of the problem:
      A. Locked Up__
      B. Frozen__
      C. Hung__
      D. Strange Smell__

6. Is your computer plugged in?
      Yes__ No__

7. Is it turned on?
      Yes__ No__

8. Have you tried to fix it yourself?
      Yes__ No__

9. Have you made it worse?
      Yes__

10. Have you had "a friend" who "Knows all about computers" try to fix it for you?
      Yes__ No__

11. Did they make it even worse?
      Yes__

12. Have you read the manual?
      Yes__ No__

13. Are you sure you’ve read the manual?
      Maybe__ No__

14. Are you absolutely certain you’ve read the manual?
      No__

15. If you read the manual, do you think you understood it?
      Yes__ No__

16. If ‘Yes’ then explain why you can’t fix the problem yourself.

17. What were you doing with your computer at the time the problem occurred?

18. If you answered ‘nothing’ then explain why you were logged in?

19. Are you sure you aren’t imagining the problem?
      Yes__ No__

20. Does the clock on your home VCR blink 12:00?
      Yes__ What’s a VCR?__

21. Do you have a copy of ‘PCs for Dummies’?
      Yes__ No__

22. Do you have any independent witnesses to the problem?
      Yes__ No__

23. Do you have any electronics products that DO work?
      Yes__ No__

24. Is there anyone else you could blame this problem on?
      Yes__ No__

25. Have you given the machine a good whack on the top?
      Yes__ No__

26. Is the machine on fire?
      Yes__ Not Yet__

27. Can you do something else instead of bothering me?
      Yes__

My comments were not aimed at Fleetwood at all, but at people who feel compelled to post listings on Craig’s list about other people’s listings. I think that is just rude and arrogant. I was not attacking his posting or him, I was stating my opinion on people who post such things on Craig’s list…. 😏

I totally agree with that. And yes it frustrates me to see limited information on a posting or when the seller has no clue what kind of bike they have or the equipment on it. I buy and sell things on Craig’s list all the time and see it daily and when I call someone on a bike or what not, I get as much information I can before making the trip to look at it. But the adds that really tick me off are ones that are made by people just to trash a particular seller and/or what they are selling or the price. That is just plain nasty and uncalled for…

Wow, I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers. I just thought it was funny, and thought others might as well. I just read it again, and I still think it is funny. 😆

I, for one, wouldn’t take the time to post an ad like that on Craigslist, but then again, I wouldn’t take the time to post a lot of stuff I see on the Internet (Singletracks.com excluded, of course).

i think maddslacker’s post is humorous 😆

Wow, I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers. I just thought it was funny, and thought others might as well. I just read it again, and I still think it is funny.

I hear ya dude,I dont read craigs list just because of what you and darwinn posted on.I love to paruse the sales adds to check out all the cool mtn bike stuff for sale but all those nickle and dime adds really make it a chore to sift through to get to the juicy stuff.

I thought the both fleetwood and slacker were humorous…. 😄 😄 😄 😄

The add on Craigslist is Funny. There are many people in this lovely country that have more money than Sense. If I can pull an old Walmart Huffy out of my Garage, that says "Titanium" on the sticker and sell it to some "Ignorant" person that doesn’t bother to educate himself before spending large amounts of cash on a used product and thinks they are getting a great deal becasue "I bought it on Craigslits" or ebay for that matter then as far as I am concerned I WIN.

For the record I have NEVER sold anything online.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.