Full suspension frames

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Full suspension frames

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking to build a full suspension bike in the near future. The full suspension frames I find online are wicked expensive. I figure $1000 for a frame? that reasonable? My road bike is a Motobecane which I like very much. On Bikeisland.com you can get some pretty good frames from Moto that includes rear and front suspension; great prices too with great shocks. They are all single pivot frames that I can find. Yuns think that this is the better buy here? I really don’t care to pay $3k for a frame without shocks just because it has a fancy name on it. Still I want to get the best frame for my build with the best type of rear suspension. I only have a hard tail mountain bike so I’m new to the full suspension world. Can you guys/gals give me some guidance??

"kyle8181" wrote

IStill I want to get the best frame for my build with the best type of rear suspension. I only have a hard tail mountain bike so I’m new to the full suspension world. Can you guys/gals give me some guidance??

You’re not going to get the "best" on a budget and building a bike on a low budge is even harder. If you’re looking to stay cheap, I would recommend an entry level dual suspension complete bike. Decent complete bikes can be had for a reasonable amount of money (under $3k)

"kyle8181" wrote

I’m looking to build a full suspension bike in the near future. The full suspension frames I find online are wicked expensive. I figure $1000 for a frame? that reasonable? My road bike is a Motobecane which I like very much. On Bikeisland.com you can get some pretty good frames from Moto that includes rear and front suspension; great prices too with great shocks. They are all single pivot frames that I can find. Yuns think that this is the better buy here? I really don’t care to pay $3k for a frame without shocks just because it has a fancy name on it. Still I want to get the best frame for my build with the best type of rear suspension. I only have a hard tail mountain bike so I’m new to the full suspension world. Can you guys/gals give me some guidance??

If you want quality rear suspension stay away from mail order brands IMO. Many don’t spend the time and money on Research and Developement of their suspension designs like a big company does. They just make something that looks about right, but may not actually work well. I’d also be weary of machining tollerances on all the pivot bearings on mailorder bikes.

The shock is important, but is not the only thing you should focus on – the linkage design is what’s most important. Put a nice high end Fox shock on a wal-mart Next and it’ll still ride like crap.

If you’re on a budget, look into getting a complete bike, either a low end new one or a used bike, then swap components around as required.

Quick example:
      If you were to buy a Giant Anthem X29 frame and a Fox fork it would cost more money than the lowest end complete Anthem X29, which comes with a Fox fork, and you know, everything else too.

CP1

Your best bet is either entry level or used, and there is some real awesome deals on used FS MTB’s out there. Unfortunately new FS bikes today are an arm and leg, especially since I started riding years back. Personally, I believe the prices have gotten way out of control and too much emphasis on Ferrari kind of builds now-a-days per say… 😆 😆 😆

You can look on places like PricePoint, USAJenson, Universal, and many other online bike stores/outlets as well. MTB sites (forum boards and such) like Pink Bike, Ride Monkey and Singletracks are also good places as well to snatch a good deal on used or near new FS rides.

BTW, nothing wrong with a good HT either, just saying…. 😉

"dgaddis" wrote

Quick example:
      If you were to buy a Giant Anthem X29 frame and a Fox fork it would cost more money than the lowest end complete Anthem X29, which comes with a Fox fork, and you know, everything else too.

I have that exact bike, and I paid $1600 for it brand new, but as a leftover from the previous model year.

For inexpensive name brand fames, I have recently seen Santa Cruz Nickel frames for $800, and some Kona’s for around $700.
      [url:ia7bqo9r]http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Santa-Cruz-Nickel-Mountain-Bike-Frame-2011-[/url:ia7bqo9r]
      [url:ia7bqo9r]http://www.thefind.com/search?query=kona+frame+#page=1&price=$61-$880&local=0[/url:ia7bqo9r]

If you really like Motobecane, you can get them as a frame with rear shock and front shock for around $600.
      [url:ia7bqo9r]http://www.thefind.com/search?query=full+suspension+mountain+frame+motobecane[/url:ia7bqo9r]

I was going to do the same thing but ended up buying a used Trek fuel ex 8 ’11 for $1200. If you go directly to Santa Cruz’s website and go into their store there are some good deals. I almost bought a superlight with a fox rl rear shock for $550 + $50 shipping.

I have been looking really hard at the Santa Cruz superlight. But have some concerns. I can’t seem to find what size travel forks it’s designed for. Ive got a 100mm marzoochi bomber on my hardtail that I’m trying to reuse. Cuz I’m on a very slim budget. Is this a horrible buy? Or will it work out?

I was really on a budget and couldn’t afford any problems and that’s why I went the complete bike route. I bought mine locally off craigslist and am very happy. I would be afraid that an old fork may not be compatible.

Santa Cruz Heckler Frame with Float CTD @ $550.00
      [url:190vo60d]http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/catalog/heckler-with-float-canada-sales-only-p-710.html[/url:190vo60d]

Santa Cruz Bicycles Nickel Frame w/ FOX RL @ $600.00
      [url:190vo60d]http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?SKU=83749&COLOR=White&SIZE=Medium&PAGE=BUY_FRAME_ONLY&PRODUCT.ID=11512&COMPONENT_PACKAGE.ID=28&size_select=33707&color_select=83749&RIDER_WEIGHT=215&Submit2=Continue[/url:190vo60d]

Both of these are more suitable as "All Mountain/Trail" rigs (not the best for light Cross Country use). Heckler is more plush with the extra bit of travel. Nickel has taper head tube, anti-bob pivot geometry, and has been discontinued. I’d recommend the Nickel while they still last.

My advise – 1. Buy last years stuff. The new stuff isn’t that much better than last years stuff. 2. Buy now, or this time of year. The industry is trying to make room for the new stuff and you find the best deals. 3. Buy a frame and then either buy a build kit, or build it yourself via steps one and two.

Some great deals here – http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=SPECIALS

I’ve bought used before as well. There are great deals out there on craigslist (keep it local so you can ride it). And for mail-orders, buyer beware. I know someone how just got burned/scammed.

"blundar" wrote

Santa Cruz Heckler Frame with Float CTD @ $550.00
      [url:3ognlrmy]http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/catalog/heckler-with-float-canada-sales-only-p-710.html[/url:3ognlrmy]

Santa Cruz Bicycles Nickel Frame w/ FOX RL @ $600.00
      [url:3ognlrmy]http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?SKU=83749&COLOR=White&SIZE=Medium&PAGE=BUY_FRAME_ONLY&PRODUCT.ID=11512&COMPONENT_PACKAGE.ID=28&size_select=33707&color_select=83749&RIDER_WEIGHT=215&Submit2=Continue[/url:3ognlrmy]

Both of these are more suitable as "All Mountain/Trail" rigs (not the best for light Cross Country use). Heckler is more plush with the extra bit of travel. Nickel has taper head tube, anti-bob pivot geometry, and has been discontinued. I’d recommend the Nickel while they still last.

Thanks Blundar, I’m impressed with the prices of these frames. $600 is pretty affordable…though it would have to wait for front suspension and components. Anyone else have any input on these? Indeed the Nickel sounds pretty good…

"kyle8181" wrote

Thanks Blundar, I’m impressed with the prices of these frames. $600 is pretty affordable…though it would have to wait for front suspension and components. Anyone else have any input on these? Indeed the Nickel sounds pretty good…

I bought a 2012 Nickel before they announced discontinuing that bike. It’s my first full-suspension bike and I am pretty happy with it. The only complaints I had were with the brakes (Avid Elixirs), which I have replaced with Shimanos, and the front fork has never seemed quite right. Neither of those are directly Santa Cruz’s fault though. I like the geometry and feel of the bike itself. I am a little slower on the climbs and maybe over the long haul vs. on my old HT, but it makes up for it other areas.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.