Full Susp: 120mm 29er, or 150mm 26inch

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I am ready to make the move into the full suspension world. I am 31 yrs old, 5’11" and 160lbs and am in good physical condition. Home is the Anchorage, AK area, but I am currently serving a Tour in Afghanistan I am looking to make my purchase when I get home. While on leave I road a couple of bikes at the local bike shops. I got on a 29er for the first time and totally loved it. The problem is that I am a bit of an adrenaline junky and while my age and children are begining to mellow me out, I think that I want more of an All-Mountain bike with around 150mm of travel. I have not seen any 29ers out there in that range without building a $4000-$5000 custom bike. I have been looking online at the Gary Fisher Rumblefish but I am just not certain if that 120mm will be enough travel for taking some of the bigger hits/ jumps I may attempt. While I am not opposed to going the custom build route, I am trying to stay under the $4000 mark, preferably around $3000.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the forums jgspeaks,and thank you for serving our great country.

First of all,I myself can only give you MY 2 cents worth on the 26er vs. 29er decision.I think you have a classic situation here of 26er vs. 29er.Many have debated which is better,although it’s not about what work’s better or easier,but how you like to mtn bike.There’s no debate that the bigger wheels will make for a more physically peacful ride,and the 26er wheels will make for a more physically challenging ride.I hear all the debate with the 29er’s winning races and all that,but I am not a racer and dont care about that.It’s all about how you want to ride and what bike you want to ride on.
      I myself,like to feel every inch,nook and cranny,crack and crevice of the trail on a 26er,I mean it’s tougher to ride a 26er as opposed to a more physically peacful ride of the 29er wheels(my 2 cents).Just the way I challenge myself,there’s nothing wrong with the 29er’s there building these days,if you are going to be doing light duty jumps,drops,and all mountain riding then that GF rumblefish would suffice.But then agian,so would the 150mm of travel on a 26er.
      Damn,I gotta get to work and wont be able to post anymore till I get home from work,cant wait to see what everyone has to say to this post…..it’s a doozy,hahahaha.
      Where the heck is flamdrag???hahahahaahaha

First off, THANKS and God Bless you for what you do for this, the greatest country in the world! I pray you arrive back here safe!

I ride a 29er, and I would tend to agree with Chilipepper on the big stuff. They are still trying to work through the geometry issues getting the big wheels into longer travel bikes. That being said I have seen some longer travel stuff coming out this year in a 29" wheel, but not sure it is proven. Giant just came out with their first 29 in an HT, my guess is they will start developing into the big hit soon. Rocky mountain has come out with a 29 and there is always the leading edge from Niner. I think they have one of the liongest travel 29s in the market. My Specialized can take a beating but I wouldn’t huck a 6-8′ drop. (Then again thats not for me on any bike)

HOWEVER, If you are actually doing more trail riding in rough terain and not really hucking big drops and flying down ski slopes a 29er is absolutly the way to go. Remember that you cannot compare travels. A 120mm 29er feels like and acts like a longer travel 26 on the trail. it just doesn’t bounce with the travel on the drops. My friend that I ride with in KY has an older 6" travel Giant and he has ridden my 100mm 29er and swears that it will take everything his Giant will.

The end of the day if you are spending that kind of coin on a bike the shops should let yo take a demo out for a test run. Find yourself a trail that resembles what you intend to spend 90% of your time on and test them out! If your concern is actually more about BREAKING the bike, talk to a good shop. they will know. My opinion if you are bying the kinds of bikes you are talking about you aint going to break it. PS: Based on your age….In not TOOO many years you will be joing those of us who prefer the cushy ride. (I’m 44 so I can say that)

Steve is right. This thread is going to a hoot to watch. Flame on brothers.

Cheers, and get home safe

I will never stop my big hits or DH until I cannot straddle my leg over my steed. Its incorporated in my blood!

You Go Chlli! Keeps you Young!

Okay, So I was writing my earlier post knowing partially that Niner was making some big travel 29’s…

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layo … s&taxid=93

5 1/2" Travel 29…Niner W.F.O. 9. Here is your answer to a 150mm All Mountain. These guys are VERY serious about the 29" technology.

Hey Chilli, You may just have to try one of these.

-First of all, no problem for the service, and thank each of you for helping pay my paycheck!

-Secondly, I am loving your attitudes/personalities.

I am sure that I am not alone here, but I wish I could afford to purchase 3 bikes. Of course then I would need a larger garage so that’s a no-go. I have pretty well narrowed my 26inch search down to the Giant Reign, Trek Remedy, and Chumba XCL. I know that there are plenty of other great 26ers out there (I think I have pretty well looked at them all on-line )so I am open to suggestions. In the 29er world I have looked at the Gary Fisher Rumblefish but I just cannot get excited about it. I have looked at the Niner W.F.O. 9 and I do think that it looks amazing. I appreciate all of your feedback so far.

We do have a couple of bikes here that we ride on the base, and we have a blast. So now I can say I have biked in Afghanistan, though it has been extremely limited!

If you are looking at the Giant Reign and are riding stuff that requires 6" travel you are probably headed to Jumps that 29ers are not ready for.

The wfo 9 is an awesome bike, However I have not seen any long term reviews or heard anyone talking about it YET! It must be close to the longest travel 29 on the market. My guess is it is a rocken ride! I rode a couple of their products in the XC market and they are first class. But Chilli makes good points on some of the flaws in the FR world.

I have seen guys hucking some pretty big jumps and drops on the Reign. Watched a guy drop a 10′ cliff in Indiana like it was nothing on last years model. Giant makes an Awesome product. My Road bike is Giant. Anyway if thats what you are looking at you are outside my knowledge level. I’m a XC guy. Fast and Rubber on the trail 😆 😆

Whatever you buy, HAve a GREAT Time, Try to get your Bride riding and definantly take the kids! You will be a happier man for it

I didn’t see it mentioned(might have missed it) but as far as 29ers you might want to consider the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. I just got the 2010 and not only does it look great, but it rides great as well. It has 120mm of travel on the front and 130mm on the back. The Reba on the front is improved and great. You might want to consider it.

Second the Stumpy 29er, love mine 😬

Personally I ride a RIP9 and I ride all over. this year I went to Fruita and in the CO mountains. It climbs like a goat with cleats on, and decends like a bigger bike. So the WFO would be a good fit for you. I do 2/3 foot drops on to flat transitions all the time and have no problem at all, and i’m a Clydesdale 220 with gear on.
      If you have any question as to what a NINER WFO is capable of Watch this guy (just a normal joe)
      tear up the Tressel Downhill on a WFO. He should be sponsored. Watch the mole video this guy gets some serious air time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N2hZzY67L4

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.