Full size rider advice

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve got a friend who has been through a lot in the last few years. His extremely active lifestyle has slowed down considerably due to some health issues. We used to ride dirt bikes, jet skis, hike, camp and in his earlier days he was a local rodeo star riding bulls (I still don’t get that one). Now at 50 years old he has both of his ankles fused at a 90° angle. Basically he has no ankles anymore. As a result of the increased difficulties walking he has put on quite a bit of weight. He’s always been a full sized guy but now he’s even bigger and still gaining. He watches me come and go with my bike and has asked about trying it out. I understand that he is desperately looking for an activity that won’t be too painful and will allow him some exercise and add to his quality of life. I’ve been looking for a bike for him to try but my big question is abouut his weight. Let’s just say that he far surpasses the 300 pound weight limit that most bikes list. He is probably around 350. Keep in mind, he would be starting out on paved bike trails and super easy single track. I’m not going to drag him on any trails that might hurt him. He’s been through enough.  Any input on weight limits or finding him a bike or would be greatly appreciated.  I just want to see my friend enjoy life.

Thanks in advance!

Great idea! So do you think he can still pedal effectively with his fused ankles?

As far as bikes go, there are some companies out there that specialize in making bikes for heavier riders. Zize bikes has a pretty good selection, including this 29er that can support up to 400lb. riders.

https://www.zizebikes.com/product/29er-max-20-8-spds

Since the pedals swivel and your feet don’t have to always be flat to the ground… I think he should do fine on some easy stuff. I doubt he will ever be much for really big climbs or technical trails. I’m assuming that most, or all of his riding will be done in the saddle. Standing up would probably create some weird ankle angles, but we’ll see. He is a pretty determined guy! We have such a variety of trails available in our area that I’m sure we can find something.

Thanks for the input on the bike! I’ll forward the information to him and we can see what he wants to do.

I would say go with a steel frame rigid bike to start with. Cheap suspension isn’t going to be good for that weight. But shouldn’t really need any suspension on paved or very easy trails. the Kona Big Rove that might might be a good bike.

Have him try a fat bike with the widest platform pedals you can find (These are the biggest I’ve seen https://pedalinginnovations.com/buy-your-pedals/ ) That offers the option of going fully rigid while not taking quite the beating of a fully rigid skinny bike.  A guy I know started at 350 pounds riding a couple different lower end Fat Bikes (Gravity Bullseye Monster then a Framed Minnesota). The only reason he switched was to give the first one to a relative, it was holding up fine. He’s lost 50 pounds.  He’s riding beginner level single track and his doctor is thrilled with the results.

Good for you looking out for your friend.  Gaining weight can be a bad spiral, especially for someone who was once active.  You gain weight, then it is hard to do stuff and you do less, then you gain more weight.  It screws with your head. Hopefully you can help him improve his situation.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this one. It’s been a couple of months and I’m happy to say… my friend bought his first mountain bike Today!

I let him ride my Salsa Beargrease a few times and he surprised me! Apparently he has wah more leg strength than I have him credit for. After just a few days on my fat bike he opted for a plus. One of the LBCs had a 2017 Jamis Komodo 27.5 plus. He test rode a few and liked the Jamis best. This evening we took it out for an 8 mile maiden voyage on a scenic local trail along the lake shore. This was really his first time on dirt. It’s nothing more than a service road, but I’m thinking he is hooked!  The ankles work good with pedaling and he is claiming zero pain, which isn’t the case while hiking or walking. Look for a new member joining our ranks in the near future!

That’s awesome.  Tell him welcome to the clan.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.