fs verses hardtail mtb

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have been thinking about getting a new mtb soon and it seems that all i hear is don’t by a fs. cause you won’t like how it climbs or you get alot of ghost shifting or you can’t never get the suspension dialed in right. everybody says hardtail,hardtail. I have been road biking for 5yrs and mountian biking for 1yr. is there any facts or is it just opinions?

Those are uninformed opinions.

Here is another. If you have less than $1500 to spend, buy a hardtail.

Where do you ride? Do you need F/S for the trails you ride?

Do you ride long distance? F/S is good for the pains of going long.

The technology is getting much better in full suspension systems – it’s not the same game it was three or even two years ago. Many of the shocks have gotten "smarter" and bike companies are engineering their geometry and pivot systems to adjust for the problems in a rear suspension that arise during pedaling, braking and big hits. But most of those high end bikes are going to cost you dearly.

I ride one hardtail and one fully rigid mtb, and I have a spectacular time. Don’t think you need the full plushy plush to rock the singletrack.

As a 29er freak I will recommend going for the big wheels. But that’s just me :-)
      Rather than deciding now on 26 v 29 or full suspension v hardtail, take a look at options in your price range and DEFINITELY try to demo the ones you’re interested in. Chances are, you will "feel" what you like. Also, if you see other riders in your area, ask them about their bikes. Most riders will be happy to tell you about them, and a few might even let you pedal it around a bit.

Here in Indiana, I tend to see more hardtails on the trails. We don’t have a lot of jumps, big drops, and rough terrain. I went from my FS Mongoose to a Trek hardtail, and don’t have any complaints after a couple rides. I feel a lot more of the trail thru the seat is all. That took some getting used to. Climbing is much easier on the Trek, but that may be more due to it being 14lbs lighter… I’ve heard you can add a Carbon fiber seat post and handlebars and eleviate some of the small trail bumps that get transmitted to your arms and butt. That’s the only thing that really is noticeable.

The perfect compromise between getting a hardtail and full-suspension is if you get a 29er hardtail. The 3 extra inches eliminates the need for a rear shock unless you are riding really rough terrain, drops, jumps, etc….

thanks for the info. i am thinking the same way. depending on terrian you ride. i think a 29 hardtail with 100 – 120 travel will be perfect for me. don’t ride anything with big drops or jumps. 2 or 3 ft. drops is plenty for me. being an old man and all 😆

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.