Fruity colors are in again???

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

In recent trips to my LBS and in viewing photos on Singletracks, I’m noticing a resurgence in colored annodized components again. When I see all these colors on bikes now, it takes me back to the summers of ’83, ’84 and ’85 when I worked at a bike shop. Back then, only BMX components came in colors like red, blue, green, yellow, purple. For MTB’s it was either silver or on rare occasion, black when it came to component colors. For me, I don’t really care what color the frame is so much, although I do have my preferences, but components should be the classic silver or black, and that’s final. That’s what my MTB history began with, a 1983 Stumpjumper all silver components, and then my 1984 Stumpjumper, a mix of silver and black components.
      Granted, when I got my first MTB with a front shock in 1996, a Fuji, it was a silver frame with purple hubs, brakes, and bar ends. I could live with it since I got the bike brand new at a dealers price. I always thought the purple made it look silly, but it was a good bike to get me started on trail riding. A year later I returned to my one true love, the Stumpjumper, with classic silver and black components, the way I like them. That bike still serves me very well now. As for the Fuji with the purple parts, it lives on as a heavy duty commuter bike with an exgirlfriend. Sadly, I noticed that the Stumpjumper on the top of my wish list has red nipples on it’s black spokes. While it certainly doesn’t ruin the look of the bike, why couldn’t they just have used black rather than red?
      So what do you all think of this new wave of fruity colored components that are hitting the market?

I’m like the colors, if they’re bold and contrasting-Blue/silver, Red/Black, etc. Purples, off greens, etc, not so much.

The more bling the better. IMHO, individuality is lacking in mountain biking.

I like the colors. It jazzes the bike up some. Why should it be drab and boring like a black and white tv compared to a 50in HD tv.

I like the blue with red accents on this 2010 Pivot Mach 5:
      Very tasty! Now if I just had the scratch to pick one up…

Am I the only one who is reminded of BMX bikes when they see the colored components on an MTB?

Naw dude,your not the only one,I notice too.

I bought my bike solely because it matches my eyes. *

* [i:ocg10r6d]False statement[/i:ocg10r6d]… though it does match my eyes.

I agree with a couple of the above posters. Adding a few colorful bling components to your bike can make it look a tad different than the other 10,000 bikes Trek, Specialized, (insert fav bike company here) rolled out.

my frame is black but my components are pink. the stickers are pink as well. I love when people customize their stuff.

Perhaps my aversion to the colored components comes from seeing a lot of the cheap MTB’s having the colored parts on them back in the 90’s. These days even the cheap bikes look expensive, until you get a good look at them. As for a pink bike, Specialized blundered back in the mid 80’s when they released the Stumpjumper Team bike in pink. The color was enough to keep most folks from buying one.
      I knew a guy in the mid 80’s that had a custom made Fat Chance with a camoflage paint job, that looked good! I don’t think I’ve seen one since. I’d like to see more flat paint jobs on the MTB’s too, blacks, greys, greens. Let the road bikes have the flashy colors.

I like a bike to look clean and shiny,although a moutain bike that has too many color burst’s almost seems like there is supposed to be a crowd waiting for you to go by in the middle of the woods or somthing,hahahaha.You know how the space shuttle does’nt have any color burst’s to it because there are no crowds in outerspace to watch it go by??hahahaha.I like to think I’m on a trip that is going way out of it’s way to get around the horn,you know what I mean??It’s all about the mission and heroism and not the fruty flavors…………………..hahahahaaha.

Theres nothing wrong with a little bling bling!

I just puchased a new dh bike with a wicked A-TEAM black and red colour scheme. love it !

I decided my bike needs a little more color after all. So I’m getting a new handelbar and stem, in black!

"83stumpjumper" wrote

…but components should be the classic silver or black, and that’s final.

"Any color is fine for a car, as long as it is black."
      -Henry Ford

What can I say, black and silver always work. Fruity colored components are for BMX bikes circa 1984.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.