Front tire suggestions…

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all,
      Just wanted to pick your brains for a sec…
      Currently, I am running Geax AKAs front and back. My rear is just about bald and I am thinking of moving the front Geax to the rear, flipping it in the traction direction, and getting something a little knobbier for the front. I have really enjoyed the speed of these tires, but at times I feel like I am about to wash out in the front. I would like to get something that will grip better cornering under speed.
      Currently, I am not running tubeless, but with the purchase of the new tire, I am going to also get The Stan’s conversion kit and go ghetto 😎
      I live and ride in NC, so I guess I am asking all of you south-easterners….
      I have done some research, but I would love any input.

WTB Bronson on the front is super grippy and has pretty low rolling resistance. I like the race version because it is lighter too. I Actually have Bronson’s on front and rear of my bike now, but will most likely get something else for the rear that is even less rolling resistance when these start to wear out.

I usually like high traction on the front and low rolling resistance on the back.

+1 for the bronson. I demo’ed a bike at Outerbike that had them and they were impressive. A friend of mine races on them in MN and WI.

Give the Kenda Happy Mediums a look too:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … re-review/

"jeff" wrote

Give the Kenda Happy Mediums a look too:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … re-review/

These do look interesting, but from reading your review, would is it impossible to mount this tire as tubeless?

Right, it’s not officially tubeless ready but that’s never stopped anyone before. 😀 That being said, I wasn’t able to make it work with my rims but your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the feedback doods….knobby nics?

+1 for Bronson up front. Very knobby great traction!

yeah,Right, it’s not officially tubeless ready but that’s never stopped anyone before,thanksImage

CP1

Surprised not to hear this one, but here in the SE type terrain (especially in the SC and NC terrains), the Maxxis Ardent (Folding Tire) is a solid front or rear tire all the way. Rolls pretty fast due to lower rolling resistance, traction is off the hook, variable air pressure control, holds tight in dry, wet, or loose soil…especially when railing berms, switchbacks, or half-cambers at speed or slow poking.

Also, I’m a big fan of the WTB Wolverine up front on my XC bikes

So based on this thread it sounds like pretty much any front tire is recommended. 😀

"jeff" wrote

So based on this thread it sounds like pretty much any front tire is recommended. 😀

Front tire: it’s recommended that you have one. 😆

I DISLIKE:

Small Block 8
      Geax AKA
      WTB Nano
      Specialized

… and a few others that I can’t think of, as front tires.

Ahhh, interesting approach. My non-recommends up front:

Hutchinson Python
      Kenda Slant 6

"maddslacker" wrote

Front tire: it’s recommended that you have one. 😆

Thanks thats a good un. 😆 Although Uni-geezer seems to roll fine with just one.

My favorite combo thus far has been Kenda Nevegal on front and Maxxis Ignitor on the rear. Might be a little slow rolling for some, but as slow as I go it doesn’t really matter.

I use a 235 Nobby Nic up front and a 225 Racing Ralph in the rear, great combination for me

i was thinking looking through here, none of these tires are particularly knobby.

then i looked up the geax aka. it looks almost like a dj tire.

i don’t know trails in nc, but seems you’re looking for an xc tire. kenda neve’s are too slow for your requirements, but do hold well in various conditions. maxxis makes some nice tires too, like the advents mentioned. lots of good outer knobs and smaller center ones for low rolling resistance. maxxis generally have an open transition between the outer knobs and transition/center knobs that can be a love / hate relationship. it is great if you like to really lay down into turns, but can feel a little nervous off center otherwise (depends on how, and how fast, you ride, and rim width). that open transition space really lets the outer knobs bite in at speed more-so than if they had transition knobs coupled to them (like kenda neve’s, for example). the inner width of your rim will also dictate the shape of contact surface. a wide knobby tire mounted on a skinny rim, for example, will have it’s outer cornering knobs pulled too far to the outside to be effective, or at least work as designed.

so try to match up your rim sizing with an appropriately sized tire with a tread pattern for your riding style/trails and surface (loose, hardpack). lots of variables, but that’s why there are so many variations in tires.

good luck.

WTB Bronson’s are like an updated version of a Nevegal. The double set of center nobs are similar but they are ramped, so that they give you low rolling resistance. I have the race version. They are lighter and the rubber compound is softer than the non-race version. That helps them grab on to slick rocks and roots much better. The softer rubber does wear out quicker, but I can live with that.

"blundar" wrote

WTB Bronson’s are like an updated version of a Nevegal. The double set of center nobs are similar but they are ramped, so that they give you low rolling resistance. I have the race version. They are lighter and the rubber compound is softer than the non-race version. That helps them grab on to slick rocks and roots much better. The softer rubber does wear out quicker, but I can live with that.

I got to experience the Bronsons at Outerbike and they are amazing.

"blundar" wrote

WTB Bronson’s are like an updated version of a Nevegal.

Meh. I only ride Nevegals when I have no other choice (they’ve come on a lot of my test rigs lately). Bronsons are in a whole other league IMO. So in that sense, yeah, I agree

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on some Nobby Nics due to the fact many of the guys I ride with really like them. They also get great reviews online, so we shall see…

Curious, since I am going tubeless, I didn’t buy the snake skin version. Is this bad? Are the non SS’s sidewalls dangerously thin?

I should have posted earlier. I give the nobby nic 0 stars. 26in, 2.35” pacestar, tubeless setup.
      I spent a while looking at reviews, and finally pulled the trigger on _one_ nobby nic (the price was a limiter). I intended to use it in the front (flow EX wheel), but became quickly disenchanted with it. In tight technical climbing I seemed to be able to get onto the sidewall in places I usually clean with full effort. Once I got on the sidewall the tire would wash out, and I’d usually plant the bars into the ground. Surprise!
      I gave nic a shot on the rear, and in this application I found myself completely folding the tire over onto the sidewall whenever I really attempted to rail a high speed turn. When this happened, I usually ended up pointing the bike straight and waiting for nic to pop back under the wheel before going back to the usual program. This manuever was always pretty exciting because it usually happen in places with very little margin for recovery. I do weigh 210 and do go down pretty fast, but I haven’t had this happen with any other tire I’ve used.
      My last ride on nic ended with a canted landing after a bunny hop from/to flat. The tire folded on the sidewall and was punctured by a rock. Dead after less than a month of riding. I have no idea how the tread wears. 😀
      I’m still looking for something I’d recommend.

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.