Front fork removal

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Front fork removal

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

hello all, i have a 2011 rockshox recon silver TK on my Cobia. I am rebuilding it but i’ve never had to remove a fork from the frame. I admit i’m not terribly comfortable with it. I know that you remove the stem and cap but is that all to slide it out of the headset? Once you did would the headset sorta fall apart? Once the maintenance on the fork is done how do you reinstall the fork and headset? Would i need any special tools?

Yep, remove stem and cap, take the brake off, and it’ll drop out. The headset will stay in the frame, althought the bearings may want to drop out (they’re likely cartridge bearings, not individual loose balls). I put a big ziptie through the headtube and cinch it down to hold the bearings in place while moving the frame around without the fork.

It’s easy, you got it!

You really shouldn’t have to remove the fork if you are just doing fork maintenance. It isn’t difficult to remove, but it should be okay to leave on the bike.

Hi everyone i purchased a Giant 29er Revel 1 which has a Suntour XCT V4 29", 80mm Travel Fork, although the bike rides smooth and handles great I sense I’m missing out when I hit the trails in terms of the full effect of mountain riding.

My question is what would be a recommended affordable fork & is it worth the cost despite the bike being an entry level?

Thanks for the help.

"koni13" wrote

Hi everyone i purchased a Giant 29er Revel 1 which has a Suntour XCT V4 29", 80mm Travel Fork, although the bike rides smooth and handles great I sense I’m missing out when I hit the trails in terms of the full effect of mountain riding.

My question is what would be a recommended affordable fork & is it worth the cost despite the bike being an entry level?

Thanks for the help.

For future use, this probably should be the start of a new thread.
      In terms of missing out, I guess I don’t understand what you think you might be missing out on. You are on two wheels in the woods and on the trails, so it sounds like a good time to me. We all started somewhere, and very few people are satisfied with their first bikes for very long. "Upgradeitis" is very common.

With that being said, there are much better forks out there. It would probably be a better idea to save up your money and purchase a new bike when you are able. You will get a better feel of what you want the more you ride. I am sure you will find more to upgrade if you just did your fork.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.