front fork bottoming out just from small jumps

Tagged: ,

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

I have a specialized carve comp 29er lov the bike but it only has 80mm of front travel suspension. Seems from any little jump (just a couple of feet) the front fork always bottoms out. Bike is only a couple months old and front fork works find for everything else. Is this a problem commonly associated with 29ers, or do I just have a cheap front fork on my bike? Also if I continue booming out with my fork will it hurt or break anything?

I have a 29er with a fairly cheap fork and don’t have any issues with bottoming out. The best advice I can give you is to start small and then escalate to complex problems. I would first check all of your lockouts to make sure they are not on. Then I would see if you need to adjust your coils/add air to your shocks.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advise lock out is off, coils are adjusted to the highest level, I was thinking the problem is just the 80mm of travel is not enough for a hard hit. How much travel is on ur forks?

Can you adjust the air pressure in your fork? If so, try increasing the pressure. If not, you may be outta luck.

A 29er should have 100mm of travel. With 80mm just get the forks as stiff as possible to prevent bottoming. Problem with doing that is they feel like they’re bottomed all the time. Try leaning back on jumps to keep most your weight off the front wheel. 😄 Later,

"danny388" wrote

Thanks for the advise lock out is off, coils are adjusted to the highest level, I was thinking the problem is just the 80mm of travel is not enough for a hard hit. How much travel is on ur forks?

I have 80mm of travel and I’ve never bottomed out as a result of the shocks, granted I’m not doing anything crazy. I’ve left the lockout on and have left my shocks with no compression on them. If it isn’t the lockout or reload, I would take it into a LBS or try and use your warranty if it is still available.

80mm of travel is great for a xc bike like the Carve that is meant for xc riding and not jumping or big hits.

The amount of fork travel has no correllation to wheel size…the bike’s frame is designed for a certain amount of travel.

Rock Shox has stiffer springs for that fork…ask your LBS about getting it installed. It would help a little bit but you’ll still bottom it out on big stuff.

Thanks for the advise I will definitely c about gettin stiffer coils. But also BTW I’m not doin anything to major maybe 4,5 ft max. I feel even its an xc bike it should be able to hold up to tht.

😆 4-5 feet of air is a lot for a xc bike! I have an 80mm air fork on my hardtail that I setup to be plush and have bottomed out on smaller stuff than that.

Yeah, 4+ feet is asking a lot of any xc bike. With the right technique it’s doable, but you’re definitely pushing the envelope.

Your bike is made for XC. First, it is designed to go fast over long distances. Second, it is a 29’er. If you aren’t careful, you will taco a wheel. Next, 4-5 feet max? Is that the size of the jump? Or how far you jump? If the jump is 4-5 feet high. You will break your frame and since it is designed for XC, your warranty will be void. My advice, get a dirt jump bike.

Realistically I never hit anything higher then 4ft, on average about 2,3 ft off the ground, but I definitely wouldn’t hit 5 or above. When I bought the bike from the LBC they said it could handle small jumps tht the frame can handle it. Also I was hesitant about buying a 29er for the wheels not being as strong, but LBS said 29ers can handle everything 26er can and more. maybe I should of known better then listing to the salesman. Think I might just have to look into gettin a second bike down the rd cause tht the kinda riding I like doing.

"danny388" wrote

Realistically I never hit anything higher then 4ft, on average about 2,3 ft off the ground, but I definitely wouldn’t hit 5 or above. When I bought the bike from the LBC they said it could handle small jumps tht the frame can handle it. Also I was hesitant about buying a 29er for the wheels not being as strong, but LBS said 29ers can handle everything 26er can and more. maybe I should of known better then listing to the salesman. Think I might just have to look into gettin a second bike down the rd cause tht the kinda riding I like doing.

If you have any questions while you’re at a LBS, go ask the service guys. They will tell you the truth. Whether it be Sram vs shimano, 26 vs 29’er, or Hardtail vs full suspension.

I was in the same boat a year ago with a 29er Stumpjumper. Now I have a Specialized Enduro…and man was it the right move. You just got to get a bike that is fit to your riding style. The Enduro is like a XC/DH hybrid which is perfect for me. It doesn’t climb as fast but the descent is well worth it on any terrain. I am not trying to market the brand or anything, its just that there are bikes out there for all our needs.

4-5 ft drops with a 80mm 29er? are you bonkers? yes, of course you are running through your travel. if you didn’t it would be set up wrong. increasing spring weight or air pressure to compensate is the wrong way to go about this.

as stated already, an 80mm 29er is not set up for 4-5 ft drops. not only can you break the frame and blow the fork, the whole geo is off for that sort of riding/flying. that you can hit big drops like that on an frame with an xc geo takes some skill.

the enduro advice of jmr4400 is spot on. you’ll have a lot more fun too.

29er, 29er, 29er, marketing bums jamming this nonsense down our throats. Your LBS is obviously overstocked on 29ers and didn’t listen to what your needs are. "29ers can do it all and more!" BS! 😈 80mm forks shouldn’t even leave the ground, let alone those geeky wheels that "roll over everthing" so you don’t even need to know how to bunny hop. 😏 Get on 26 with minimum 4" travel. And watch some Pinkbike.com videos, no 29ers there. Get Rad 😃

"toddonbike" wrote

And watch some Pinkbike.com videos, no 29ers there. Get Rad 😃

[url:3p1gkpla]http://www.pinkbike.com/news/29ROCKS-The-movie-Cedric-Gracia-Simon-Andre-on-29ers-2012.html[/url:3p1gkpla]

#FactCheck

The fact that the bike is a 29er has nothing to do with his issue. Thank you for your input however, it was useless.

All the 29er vids on PinkBike:
      http://www.pinkbike.com/video/search/?q=29er

Niner and Santa Cruz both make long travel all mountain 29ers. Lenzsport makes 29er all mountain and full blown downhill bikes.

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="toddonbike":21l55nac]And watch some Pinkbike.com videos, no 29ers there. Get Rad 😃

[url:21l55nac]http://www.pinkbike.com/news/29ROCKS-The-movie-Cedric-Gracia-Simon-Andre-on-29ers-2012.html[/url:21l55nac]

#FactCheck

The fact that the bike is a 29er has nothing to do with his issue. Thank you for your input however, it was useless.[/quote:21l55nac]

fact check 2:

seeing a couple of pros getting paid to ride 29ers at their limits does show they have come a long way since their intro. but then i’ve seen pros dirt jump and dh on road bikes. but as for being factual rather than commercial, i would still venture to guess the percent of 29ers entered in pro fr and dh events would remain somewhere around, if not exactly, zero. i don’t really follow it but was wondering what percent of 29ers are entered in pro xc events, where this bike is purported to excel?

still think that the bike is a 29er has nothing to do with it? i sure as heck wouldn’t put my health at risk hitting a 5 ft drop on a 80mm 29er (as per the op), would you? and as that seems the point of this thread toddonbike’s comment was far from useless.

ps- the clip was entertaining though, as are most of cg’s vids.

80mm suspension and 29er have nothing to do with each other. I wouldn’t make a habit of hucking a 26er with 80mm suspension either.

"maddslacker" wrote

80mm suspension and 29er have nothing to do with each other. I wouldn’t make a habit of hucking a 26er with 80mm suspension either.

lol!

well, the 80mm 29er says to me the geo is xc and not slack. xc oriented rims probably wouldn’t hold for more than a couple of big hits before losing form.

dj bikes and bmx bikes don’t have a lot os travel (if any) but are built way different. but dropping off a 5 ft to flat does require more sus.

I don’t know if I’d drop my DH bike 5 feet to flat.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I don’t know if I’d drop my DH bike 5 feet to flat.

You know you would. 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":w4csygjl]I don’t know if I’d drop my DH bike 5 feet to flat.

You know you would. 😆[/quote:w4csygjl]
      The bike could probably handle it but idk if my skills are up to the challenge!!

i been doing drops like that on my 29er and now the fork is broken…dont end up like me 😃

thanks for the advice i will look into the enduro, just wish full suspension bikes werent so expensive. it be-a-while be$4 i can afford one, but i discovered as long as i lean back and hit my back tire first my front fork dont bottom out so im gonna just keep to tht. if i break it, i break it, its too much fun. But i really dont think the frame is stressing out to much, i would imagine the tire would taco be4 the frame give

i do feel the bike shop sold me the worng bike for want i really wanted it for, i agree tht bs are over stocked on them and are shoving them down peoples throats. But also in my area this might be due to fact that im form the south, and its moslty flat around here and theres not many jumps and decents expect for man made stuff(in fact the lbs didnt even sell full suspension). which made sense to me, tht i didnt need a bike with a whole lot of suspension but after ridding with just 80mm, i would never reccomand it for anyone

"danny388" wrote

(in fact the lbs didnt even sell full suspension)

Time for a new bike shop…

"danny388" wrote

i do feel the bike shop sold me the worng bike for want i really wanted it for, i agree tht bs are over stocked on them and are shoving them down peoples throats. But also in my area this might be due to fact that im form the south, and its moslty flat around here and theres not many jumps and decents expect for man made stuff(in fact the lbs didnt even sell full suspension). which made sense to me, tht i didnt need a bike with a whole lot of suspension but after ridding with just 80mm, i would never reccomand it for anyone

Where are you from?

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":2wd8l3q2][quote="mtbgreg1":2wd8l3q2]I don’t know if I’d drop my DH bike 5 feet to flat.

You know you would. 😆[/quote:2wd8l3q2]
      The bike could probably handle it but idk if my skills are up to the challenge!![/quote:2wd8l3q2]

+1

South Mississippi (biloxi) its like an hr from new Orleans

Viewing 30 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.