Free bike

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

I was given this bike by a friend of mine. I have been after him for this bike for a couple of years since id always see it in the backyard with nothing but 2 flats and i noticed he was never going to fix it. he always said no im going to fix it blah blah blah. Never did. He is moving now and he decided to call me to go pick up the bike. Me, being a Raleigh fan went over there and picked it up. I say $80 – $120 should leave this bike in perfect running order. It has road tires so it needs mountain bike tires. The cables are pretty messed up. The rotors and the callipers are a bit rusty but in perfect working condition. It has Shimano/Alex DM-18 26" wheels and hubs that just need to be cleaned and its an 18 inch frame. Perfect for my son or gf. Seems like a nice project to keep me busy when im bored 😎 BTW the bike is a Raleigh M 80 mountain sport

sweet man, it’s not every day a friend is offering to give me a bike, so go you. Although I’m just the opposite and I’m not a fan of Raleigh.

I have a couple of junkers myself that I constantly mess around with, and then once they are completed I usually keep them so my friends can use them anytime we go biking and they don’t have one, I might use it as a back up in case I gotta go bring mine to the shop. May give it to my brother, and 1 time I’ve given them to charity, to a local organization.

How big of a rear tire will the frame accept??Just curious……………..

"steve32300" wrote

How big of a rear tire will the frame accept??Just curious……………..

Right now i can barely see what brand tires it is but my friend that gave it to me realized it was’nt a mountain bike he needed and so took off the knobs it came with and had slicks put on. And those are 26"x1.50. i was going to try 1.95’s. But now im looking at the specks of the bike and it seems it came with from the factory with 26 x 2.10" WTB VelociRaptor. Im not sure if the different frame sizes have anything to do with how big a tire i can install on it but here are the specs of the bike

http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/Bike … &Type=bike

P.S it is a medium frame

I was just curious,I’m looking at the surly instigator frame to build a rigid and it says it can accept a 2.7 depending on tire brand.Some tires are a little wider depending on how far the knobbys stick out.I would imagin you could go a little bigger if you wanted.I am a bigger dude so I feel better with a wider tire and that’s why I was curious about what size tire could fit between the seat and chain stays without rubbing.If you look at my stumpjumper’s chain stay on the right inside,all the paint is worn off because of the bigger tires I try and run somtimes,hahaha.just a thing with me,that’s all.

"Biohazard74" wrote

But now im looking at the specks of the bike and it seems it came with from the factory with 26 x 2.10" WTB VelociRaptor.

Those are awesome tires and I would go with them.

In fact, I DO go with them! 😉

Just got home from the bike shop and yeah i went with the 2.1 Velociraptors. They had em on clearance at my LBS for 16.99. I dont think i can go wrong for that price. I really need to stop going there. I go for one thing and walk out with 3 digits worth of stuff every time. 😆

And steve I love that frame you are working with. I saw this picture one time of that bike and i even actually had to save it i liked the bike so much.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2174/248 … 5f.jpg?v=0

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Nice! Have not seen one of those around in a while. I always did like Raleigh bikes. I had a couple of them back in the day and they were the bikes of the bikes. Good deal bro!

Thanks Chilli. My LBS by my house here where i grew up were huge Raleigh bike supporters and dealers. Mostly top end bikes so i have to say i pretty much grew up seeing mostly Raleigh, Giant, Redline and GT brand more than anything.

Thanks dude. BTW keep that picture of the bike and compare it to the pic i post when i finish it. LOL i have some crazy ideas with the frame.

"Biohazard74" wrote

I go for one thing and walk out with 3 digits worth of stuff every time. 😆

So so true… That’s gotta be written somewhere in a rulebook, because it’s always the case. 😕

Coming along slowly but surely. i stripped the whole thing down and painted it. I taped all the stock signs etc and just painted the rest. Its always nice to know what kind of bike it is imo 😃 I semi put it together tonight to kind of get an idea of what its going to look like but i have to take it completely apart again and give it a nice coat of clear. Id call it a half ass job because im spending most of my cash on my own bike 😼 But an extra bike that runs great is always nice to have incase someone wants to tag along. Let me know what you guys think of the colors. Dont ask me where the gold handle bar idea came from. 😆

Thanks Chilli 😎

me likey!!! turning out sweet. im jelous 😆

Pretty cool…Not bad work I must say. Fresh looking.

Thanks element 😎

I like the white seat post and stem,they look feaky deaky with that blue.Cool lookin bike dude.

Thanks steve 😎 I appreciate the comments. I think it will be done today. Cannot wait to take it for a spin 😃

So, how did the test ride go? Any more changes since your last post?

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.