Frames frames frames

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Just curious of some good lower budget FS frames are that are worth building for a freerider? I am a Clyde so strength is important!

Thanks a ton!!

Sometimes its worth purchasing a whole bike …Rather than building it up.

Consider brands like KHS or even Sette house brand of Price point…Here is a major hint…Both frame sets are made by the same manufacture however I am not at liberty to mention who. So either way your getting a decent bike at a great price…

Cheers

I think IH is outta business…

the full-suspension warriors are some good bikes. They are more along the lines of an all-mountain bike, by way of components. The frame is strong though. Although none of them come with a 1.5 head tube, the 1.125 head tube is really reinforced from the manuf. If i could make any changes to the frame it be to slacken the head tube angle out some. Its kinda steep for my taste in riding, but the seat tube is positioned just fine for me, angled back to where the seatn is postioned just behind the bottom bracket (vertically that is, allows for better cornering), but not to far so that you can still get your leg power to the pedals effeciently. The fork and shock combo is not the best, but I’m just riding them both out till i get enough money saved up to upgrade both shock and fork (looking at either RockShox Totem fork, or a Lyric fork and then the Marzocchi Rocco TST R for the rear). I have basically re-built the bike with the execption of the fork and shock. I installed and added several parts. But the others that chilipepper mentioned are some low budget top-notch bikes. Only problem is finding one, since IH did sell out, meaning even lower price but with no manuf. warrenty, only the distributors/sellers warrenty if there is one.

Any thoughts on hardtails as well? Would this be a bad choice considering the direction I’d like to go? I came across some dirt jumper frames this morning that were very cool and cheap they were brand x?? Those good or bad?

It doesn’t have to be FS I just assumed that’s what most freeriders had.

I have been looking at frames all morning lol soooooo many choices

Well you have all been helpful, I’m just not sure what I want, I know I love riding the trails and as I gain more experience I wanna get alot more into doin drops and jumps at the same time I wanna go in the direction of trial type stuff. That’s what led me to begin looking into the HT’s and DJ’s they look as if they would be much lighter and more nimble than a FS bike. If I go the DJ route do you have to run single chainrings? I really don’t wanna give up trail riding as I greatly enjoy it so I’d prefer to keep it as 24 speed.

You don’ have to run a single speed set up some frames have the option of both..However a decent set up will still not be that bad on weight…You have to select the correct components or find a bike that is already pretty light.

Well I really appreciate the help guys I think I have just decided to go with a FS I really like some of the KHS frames. Later down the road I may build me a dedicated DJ but I enjoy trails and and drops and stuff to much and would really prefer the FS in those conditions. Again thanks everyone!!

I am a Clyde so strength is important!
      It doesn’t have to be FS I just assumed that’s what most freeriders had
      I’m just not sure what I want, I know I love riding the trails and as I gain more experience I wanna get alot more into doin drops and jumps at the same time I wanna go in the direction of trial type stuff.

I might be a little late if you already decided to go with the FS,although I couldnt help but post up anyway since this frame is what I’m building as my "other" bike.
      It’s the Surly Instigator hard tail or rigid depending on what you want to build it as.

The Instigator, a substantial frame built for heavy-duty riding and the abuse dished out by all types of riders: clydesdales, dirt jumpers, urban and dirt hucksters and racers.

I’m gonna build it as a rigid,I’ve been riding my stumpjumper for two years now and it is my first FS and now it is time to build my rigid.check out the link below.

[url:1yzq345t]http://surlybikes.com/frames/instigator_frame/[/url:1yzq345t]

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Is that for the road only?

Perfect

10′ DROPS ON A WARRIOR?!?!?!?! I have a 4.0. The 5.0 (2007 lineup – the hardtails weren’t made after 07) is a hard tail (better components than the 1-3) The 6.0 as the same components as the 5.0 and the same frame as the 4.0, but the 08 6.0’s have air suspension. They all come with a 1 1/8 head tube (per the specs from IH). And what you said about the head angle is true, 70 degrees is a little steep for me, but i also ride trail with some fun stuff thrown in. Its just good all-around-bike.

man thats crazy. i can’t go off a 7′ without breaking something on my bike (usually wheel related never the frame stuff). He must be like 120 lbs cuz if i d that i’ll make bike go "POOF" into a bunch of dust. I am 280, remember that. The bike is pretty tough to handle me.

why would he be soaking wet for you……chili do have something to say….haha just kidding man

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.