Fox RP24 Forks (Gary Fisher/Trek-specific)

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I am in the market for a used fork and on eBay I have seen some of these available.

Since they are Trek and Gary Fisher specific, does anyone know of any reason why they would not be suitable for another bike? Specifically I’m wondering if they have any unique geometry issues.

There is a difference and it has to do with steerer..It is made for trek and is not the same as the regular forks that are out there. The tubes here are offset differently and will change how your bike rides, if not fit at all…

This one is listed with a standard 1 1/8" straight steerer, not he tapered model…

Which tubes are offset differently? Head tube? Stanchions?

If my memory is correct the change is in the steering crown where the stanchions go. There is less offset.

The difference is the offset, how far forward the axle is compared to the centerline of the steerer tube. G2 geometry is what it’s called. It will fit any frame though, the steerer tube is the same, the crown just has more forward kick. It will steer a little different.

Ah, that makes more sense.

If it is further forward, then I assume I would get sloppy steering while climbing? (Among other things)

The pushed forward crown on the G2 fork will give your bike a longer wheelbase and supposedly give it more trail. For a bike not designed to handle this it will probably make the steering feel a bit more sluggish. I would assume it would detract from the climbing capabilities but make descending feel more stable.

I’ve been doing lots of googling and finally called Push Industries to talk to one of their techs.

The Trek Fuel EX 9.9 version of the RP24 is 120mm travel and not G2, but it has a tapered steerer like Element22 alluded to.

The Gary Fisher model has 100mm travel, a standard 1 1/8" steerer, is G2 and is a 29’er.

Either way, it seems that there is not an RP24 in my near future.
      However I did also find that my current 2004 Marzocchi MXC Comp fork has 44mm of offset, as compared to 40mm on most forks. The G2’s are either 49mm or 51mm depending on the model.

Thanks all for the brainstorming.

Oh, and here is a good write-up I found on steerer offset vs trail that I found:
      http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/ … it-of.html

"dgaddis" wrote

The difference is the offset, how far forward the axle is compared to the centerline of the steerer tube. G2 geometry is what it’s called. It will fit any frame though, the steerer tube is the same, the crown just has more forward kick. It will steer a little different.

Actually the G2 increases offset thus decreasing the overall trail making the bike feel quicker through tight turns.

The thought process comes from 29er research where they were trying to quicken the slow turning bikes. Overall G2 decreases headtube angles (to make high speeds more stable) and increases the fork offset to counter that to maintain a shorter trail (quicker steering).

You can use G2 on any bike. I would compare your HT angle to the GF line and make sure you’re not too steep w/ the offset (which may take away from the forks performance). Check out this link for more info.

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/series/hifi29

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.