Fox F100 RL 29 Maintainance

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello,

I am sure this info is somewhere on here, I just was not able to find it. I have a 2010 trek paragon with a Fox F100 RL 29 fork. I have had the bike tuned up a few times but I guess there has been nothing done to the fork. I do not have a ton of hours on the bike (probably 40-50) but it is still overdue. Yesterday after a ride, I saw what looks to be some oil leaking onto the fork. The funtion of the fork seemed the same.

Does this sound like a bad seal that needs replacing? Or is it probably something bigger than that?

Is this something I should try and do on my own or would it be better to take to LBS?

About how much will something like this cost from the shop or for stuff to do it myself?

I know those are all simple questions that I should already know the answer to but I gotta start somewhere.

Thanks for the help,

Stephen

Fox forks are bad about leaking oil. Looks like this, right?

I’d say that yes, it’s time for some work. New dust seals and wipers, and fresh oil, and it should be good to go.

The work is pretty easy, but you might not have all the tools, and getting the wipers in/out of the lowers can be tough sometimes. Search around on YouTube for how to videos, then decide if you want to tackle it yourself.

PRO TIP: Be super duper extra careful when tightening the nuts on the bottom of the fork when putting it all back together. It’s really easy to snap those bolt in half…and they’re part of the fork internals, like the damper, which means it’ll cost you a few hundred bucks to replace it. Ask me how I know 😳 😢

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.