Fork Bushing Fix

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

So today I had a quick stop at the bike shop, and they said that my fork bushings were loose. When I asked them if they could fix it they said no, it was to far gone. Why can’t they or I just replace the bushings and be done with it? Also how much would it be to replace the bushings or how hard is it to do myself? If the fork is screwed I’ll ride it until it dies. Then after that I’ll need a new fork, so what’s the best fork $180 dollars or less? Can I trust used forks because if I can I’ll just buy a used fork.

Thanks,
      Cavermatthew

What kind of fork are you needing repaired? It should be able to be rebuilt, unless it’s very outdated and parts are hard to come by. As far as a new fork goes, check blue sky cycles web site. They were running some good deals in your price range.

It’s a 1999 rockshox judy 100 hydracoil. The mechanic said something about the stanchions being too worn so if they put new bushings in it would still be loose. But is the wear for this type of thing on the inside because I don’t see any on the outside?

The wear would be on the inside. It can be a little difficult sourcing the parts for a 16 year old fork, but it can be done. You may be further ahead to buy a new fork. Do some searching on YouTube. There are videos on how to repair that fork. See if it’s something you would be comfortable doing yourself. By the time you found parts and paid a shop to rebuild it, you may have been able to buy something newer/better.

I’ll search youtube but if I get a new fork what about these two?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251931173593?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

Does it look trustworthy? I haven’t heard in a new judy fork in awhile. I don’t want to buy another used fork with worn bushings.

then there’s this
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RockShox-RS … 3593&rt=nc

Should i keep looking? If so I can’t look for long because I have my Moab trip next month. I could probably see if anyone has a for sale for in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Cavermatthew

If you have a trip planned, I would avoid those forks on ebay. They would be shipping from Taiwan. That can take weeks sometimes. I wouldn’t risk ruining your trip. I got a great deal on a 27.5" rock shox xc 30 air sprung fork for my ride recently. Got it from blue sky cycling for around $180 shipped. I’m not sure if your bike has rim brakes or disc brakes. Check their website. They have both kinds. If you’re looking to stay with a coil sprung fork, they had 26" rock shox xc 28 and xc 32 for around $125. You could have a new one in less than a week. It’s worth looking into.

I ride with 160mm hydraulic disc brakes. I looked at the closeout 26er xc32 tk and I’ll probably get that. Thank you!

Cavermatthew

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.