Fork and shock lubrication questions.

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I need some help because I have never learned about fork and shock lube. I don’t want to take my fork or shock apart to lubricate, but simply want to lube the exposed metal part of the legs that move in and out of the leg tubes(names of parts?). After several washings the legs have lost that light coating of lube and I want to ge it back. I know that 15W is on the heavy side and for heavier riders and 2.5W is thinner, faster etc. lube. Is it possible to buy some one of the shock oils from Finish Line or some Sram Pitstop and simply apply a light coat to the legs to bring back the light layer of lube? My fork is a ’10 Reba SL 29 if that makes a difference in type or brand of oil. Thanks for any input you guys can give.

this isnt the best thing to do (mainly because it can introduce air into your brakes if thier hydraulic) but you could put your bike upside down for a hour or two to let the oil drain down to the wiper seals so the oil can soak into the foam ring under the wiper seals and then flip your bike back over and cycle the front fork thru its travel to re-lube the stanchions, but if that doesnt work then youll need to take the lowers off and refill the lowers with lube (i think its 15cc. of 15wt. they put in the Reba’s i like to use Fox Float Fluid) but if your uncomfortable doing that i would sugest you take your fork to your LBS and let them do it for you, i would also sugest that you NOT use any other kind of oil or lube on the stanchions unless its safe for use in a suspension system, your LBS might try to put some kind of lube on the stanchions and if they do make sure its suspension safe or you might have problems in the future with your fork.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try and if it doesn’t work I will talk to my LBS.

OP- what it sounds that you are trying to do is eliminate the stiction between the seals and shafts. What I’ve found to work here silicone spray, sprayed onto rag then wiped sparingly on the fork stanchions/shock shaft, then stroked couple of times and wipe away excess. Stiction gone 😃 This is particullarly useful prior to checking and setting sag, especially on the forks.

silicone spray is a good idea, but make sure you use a water based silicone spray or you will destroy the seals and degrade the oil in the fork, the none water based silicone spray uses gasoline as a carrier for the lube and that can destroy the seals inside the fork, also just use a little bit of the spray as the water based can still contaminate the fork oil.

trailrider- yea the spray I use(Liquid wrench brand) does smell of some kinda of petroleum distillate as a vehicle, fortunately it does evaporate quickly too, so I ususlly apply and then let it "dry" a bit before working it in.( done this for years on birt bike fork legs without any seal issues- and that is with upside down forks)
      Another thought I had was silicone grease like that is used in plumbing applications. It is quite thick,translucent and safe for fresh water systems so presumably without pretroleum. A little bit goes a long but kinda hard to apply thin and evenly. It comes in 1/2 oz containers at hardware stores.

i just found out about this stuff http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/s … n-lube.htm about a week ago, and it works awesome for getting rid of fork stiction.

if the silicon spray that you use has been working for you with no ill effects on your fork then i see no reason not to use it, but i think that has to do with the way you apply the silicone spray, if you were to just spray the silicone spray on fork stachcion and then work it in with out letting it dry then thats were i think youll run into problems with seal failure.

that silicon grease might work, one way to get it to coat evenly is to take off your wiper seals and pack the wiper seals with the silicon grease so it will coat the stanchions evenly, i dont know if it will hinder the performance of the fork or enhance it, but if it works like the silicone spray then it might be worth giving it a shot, but if you could you should take a o-ring measure the thickness of it then place it in the silicon grease for about a week and see if it swells up a bit, if it swells up then its probably not a good idea to put it in your fork.

You have take care before clean and lubricate your fork and use aerosol spray. Be aware of the potential for spillage when applying fluids to your fork seals. Any kind of lubrication is going to have negative consequences for your brake pads (rim or disc brakes). Drip a small amount of lube at the front of the stanchion where it meets the seal. Allow it to run around, covering the whole seal, and then manually depress the forks.

Thanx,
      Cleora

Here is a good guide for fork repair.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-re … g-manitou/

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.