flats or clip ins

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

who uses what? not sure what to buy, looking for preferences and reasons

I think you gotta ride whats comfortable for you. I use shimano clipless. I don’t ride really wicked downhills, mostly double track with some mild singltrack thrown in once in a while. I would feel kind of naked if my feet weren’t connected to the bike, but, as always, YMMV.

Lon

not sure what to buy,

What kinda of riding do you plan on doing??

I’m a big fan of the Crank Bros. Mallets. You can ride them clipped in for efficiency on climbs and flats, or use them as a platform pedal in the sketchy stuff. You can even ride them as a platform with non-SPD shoes, it’s not quite as comfortable as a regular platform, but totally doable.

thanks, I do like those mallets.

shimano clipless dx/xt pedals (platform and clipless). I think there the best way to go hands down. Great for climbing and I feel way more in control downhill/freeriding with them

i use if you are doing more xc kind of thing like me i highly rate clipless they help climb those tough hills

I have been using Mosh platforms from the get-go. I like being able to bail without worrying about slipping out before I hit the ground. I ride a lot of singletrack with some good drops and some moderate hills. I have to admit, when I was riding in North Carolina a month ago I wished I was clipped in because of some of the uphills- it does help you in that respect. I’ve received some nasty pedal bite on my calves thanks to the platforms, though.

I ride Crank Bros. Eggbeaters, super light, easy to clip in, you dont come out of them, and they clear mud with ease. I ride singletrack and nothing else though.

Platforms are used a lot in freeride and downhill
      Clipless pedals are used in XC and Trail but it all comes down to personal preference. I like clipless because my feet dont slip off the pedals and you can really pedal hard and stay in control of the cranks.

cjm

The main reason to ride clipless is that clipless shoes have a rigid sole. Take your sneakers and flex them about 5000 times. That’s the energy you lose riding flats on a long pedal.

The big seller for flats is shoe fit. If your shoes aren’t correctly fit there are problems. If they are to tight, your heart rate will go up to get blood to your feet. If they are too loose, your foot will fight to maintain traction inside of your shoe. Both cause unneeded fatigue. Do a bit of reading on Shoe Lasts. In general, it is really worth it.

I have an ankle injury, that from time to time, causes me to brace my ankle. If you ride clipless with an ankle brace, lateral forces will be pushed into your knee. My knee, and likely most peoples, isn’t a fan of lateral forces.

My real advice is, if your not racing, to take the money you’re contemplating spending on shoes pedals and spend it riding new trails.

I would trade in my shock and disc brakes before I get rid of clipless pedals.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.