Flat Tires

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Flat Tires

--
SHARES

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys,

I’m new to biking and looking for some help. I just got a new bike that has fat tires (26×4) and I can’t keep them from getting flats. Granted, I have a lot of thorns and some mesquite, but is there anything I can do? I’ve been out 4 times and had 5 flats. I currently have Mr. Tuffy liners and slime in my tires. Do they make solid tires or are there any other option y’all are aware of? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Even the burliest tires can be punctured by the right thorn—cactus, goathead, tree. I recently punctured a double casing Maxxis Minion tire with a tree thorn. I’ve also punctured tires with Mr. Tuffy liners.

In general, Fat tires have fairly thin casings. Otherwise, they would be very heavy. So, Fat tires are easy to puncture. Fat tires are mostly intended for riding on snow.

The only way you are likely to solve this problem is to setup your bike tubeless. There many videos on how to do this on Youtube but here are a some tips.

—Use tubeless ready tires. Many Fat tires are not tubeless ready.
      —While single digit tire pressures are good for riding on snow, you need to increase your tire pressure to 13+ psi for Trail riding.
      —Get a tire plugging system and know how to use it to fix flats that the sealant can’t. I like the Stans Darts. Carry a pump and a spare tube.

Even the burliest tires can be punctured by the right thorn—cactus, goathead, tree. I recently punctured a double casing Maxxis Minion tire with a tree thorn. I’ve also punctured tires with Mr. Tuffy liners.

In general, Fat tires have fairly thin casings. Otherwise, they would be very heavy. So, Fat tires are easy to puncture. Fat tires are mostly intended for riding on snow.

The only way you are likely to solve this problem is to setup your bike tubeless. There are many videos on how to do this on Youtube but here are a some tips.

—Use tubeless ready tires. Many Fat tires are not tubeless ready.
      —While single digit tire pressures are good for riding on snow, you need to increase your tire pressure to 13+ psi for Trail riding.
      —Get a tire plugging system and know how to use it to fix flats that the sealant can’t. I like the Stans Darts. Carry a pump and a spare tube.

Hey guys,

I’m new to biking and looking for some help. I just got a new bike that has fat tires (26×4) and I can’t keep them from getting flats. Granted, I have a lot of thorns and some mesquite, but is there anything I can do? I’ve been out 4 times and had 5 flats. I currently have Mr. Tuffy liners and slime in my tires. Do they make solid tires or are there any other option y’all are aware of? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Try sealant such as Orange Seal or similar. It can be injected into tubes that have removeable valve cores. Tubeless might also be an option, depending on the rims you have.

If your rims have the ability to retain the bead of the tire as it is seated while inflated while it is deflated, you can do tubeless very easily. If you deflate the tire and it falls away from the rim and becomes loose and floppy on the rim, tubeless is going to be a challenge and likely unreliable.

When you repaired flats, did you have to squeeze the tire free from the edges of your rims?

If you are not sure about setting up tubeless, you can add tubeless sealant to most tubes.  Tubes usually do have a removable valve core.  If that is the case with your tubes,  try adding sealant and you should see your flats drop off to almost none. That is what I did prior to setting up my wheel tubeless with great success.  I had no more flats after adding sealant to the tubes.

Setting up the wheel to be tubeless will remove the weight and friction of a tube and maintain the puncture solution from adding sealant to a tube.  I do recommend it, but if you are not sure about it just try the sealant in your tube.

Definitely go tubless.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.