Fitting tires on a Gary Fisher Cobia

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

When I bought my Cobia, I bought a pair of Kenda Nevegals with it. The rear tire rubbed the front derailleur (stock Deore) so I tried a set of WTB Stouts…same issue, maybe even a little worse.

I’ve been very tempted to take a Dremel to the tires 😄 but figured I should go into the bike shop to see what my options are.

I was told by a tech at the bike shop that an X9 derailleur would clear the tire. A 2010 X9 came in yesterday but it also rubs…apparently the 2009 X9 is more slim where it mounts to the frame and it [i:18hlpu3p]should[/i:18hlpu3p] clear the tire. The shop can’t get the ’09 X9 so I have to pick one up online. I’ve found one on Pricepoint but I’m just wondering if anybody else has been in the same boat? I’m wondering if there are any other derailleur options that my LBS could order so that I don’t order from an online shop and get stuck with it when it doesn’t work out.

where is the tire rubbing the derailer, is it at the cage or the seat tube clamp?

It’s rubbing on the seat tube clamp.

i think you might be able to run a low clamp FD to give you more clearance, it should put the FD clamp lower on the seat tube and a little farther away from your tire, from the pics i see of that frame the current FD clamp location is right where the tire is closeset to the frame, so a little lower should move it out of the way, you could also try to move the FD a little bit farther down on the seat tube, but only down far enough not to mess with shifting, if that doesnt work then your LBS should have a low clamp FD in stock for you try out, and if it doesnt work they should let you return it.

That makes sense. Thanks! I’ll see what I can work out. Riding around on the wore out stock rear tire just wishing I had traction isn’t working for me much longer.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.