First Video With the Singletracks.com Contest VholdR

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

Here it is…

Disclaimer, I am not a DH/Freerider, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express the previous night, so no comments on my (lack of) skillz 😆

http://www.vimeo.com/6788360

I have a bunch more footage from the XC side of the park, but I haven’t gotten it edited yet.

Here’s how I processed it:
      -Used ffmpeg from the command line to convert the video to mpeg4 and split the audio and video tracks out.
      -Used Audacity to mix the song with the recorded sound from the camera
      -Edited the video and set the audio to the above track in Avidemux
      -Finally, used ffmpeg, again from the command line, to reduce the video bit rate to 3,000Kbps and reduce the size from 1280×720 to 640×360

I uploaded the resulting video to vimeo.com and vholdr.com.

dude that was pretty good. i love that song. its one of the songs that i ride/listen to it when i take my ipod on a ride. nice job looking forward to more. 😃

Thanks Chilipepper, that was my second run down that trail…I intend to keep practicing it so I can carry more speed into the jumps, AND nail the jumps that transition into a berm/corner. Those freak me out right now!
      Oh, and it’s this trail, by the way:
      http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … -park.html

The test vid is my mountain bike on pavement.
      The buzzing is WTB Velociraptors on pavement. 😉
      The high-pitched squealing is me being too lazy to order new front brake pads 😆

Nice man! Glad you finally got it!

Here is the descent from the top of the mesa on the XC side of the park.

Two things I’ve learned about recording trail riding:
      The VholdR doesn’t seem to deal well with light and dark in the same frame, (I really could see just fine)
      We talk about some really stupid crap while on the trail… 😏

Also, I picked up a goathead in my front tire on the run in the previous video, and coming into the first turn in the meadow part of this video I discovered I couldn’t steer. Soon after I figured out my front tire was almost flat. I made it out to the car with it, barely 😎

http://www.vholdr.com/node/46260

Cool vids. What’s a goathead?

[url:73drc5dt]http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3693[/url:73drc5dt]

What’s a goathead?

Check out the link and there’s pic’s and explanation’s on goat heads.You probably have em where your at although have a different name for em,either way they are a pain in the ass,unless you have tubeless,thorn proof tubes,or slime/goo.

"steve32300" wrote

unless you have tubeless,thorn proof tubes,or slime/goo.

TrueGoo, I’ve just been too lazy to pick them up at the LBS

which LBS slacker??

Treads or Performance.

The guy who makes them is in Longmont.

JDH

Cool videos Slacker, I might have to try recording a few rides next summer.

Videos are done from that trail, here’s a link to all three. And yes, they’re linked at the appropriate trail pages here.

http://jencropable.com/blogwithin/mount … ew-camera/

should have bunny hopped that snake slack,hahahahahaha.Those vids are totally kickin Slack,and your choice of music aint bad either dude.Where you plannin your next trail to video??

LOL, I had just seen a 4 foot gopher snake and two rattlesnakes before that, one of the rattlers I rode around the head of thinking it was another gopher snake, the other my friend ran over….so I was freaked out by snakes at that point.

Next will probably be Hidden Mesa since it’s next to my house, then possibly the downhill of Mt Falcon with Parmalee Gulch

Oh, and the other stop was for a tumbleweed that lodged in my drivetrain.

Very cool.
      Song 2 gets regular rotation on my ipod also-
      I also found that cam to have trouble adjusting to light changes, but did find it worked better in standard mode than HD for that. The trails I rode seemed to be rougher than them in CO, or at least the video came out that way. I used it on the STA trails above Anchorage and a few out in the valley but really the footage was pretty hard to make out for anyone not familiar with the trails.

Your editing skills are right up there, nice work. All that converting, and bit rates and command lines and extras are a bit confusing- Im holding out one that just works myself 😃

That trail is quite bumpy with small rocks, but it’s not the front range trail where yuo really take a beating. I have it mounted to my frame just behind the head tube, and I intentionally softened my suspension a bit. Also the going-flat front tire probably helped. 😏

To clarify, a whole-frame transition between light and dark is ok, check out the test video for that, but when there is light and dark in the same frame, the light wins out.

Still, this camera is light years ahead of my old one.

AK_Dan, do you find that SD mode, although better for lighting, loses something in the image stabilizing department?

Cool Vids!

"maddslacker" wrote

AK_Dan, do you find that SD mode, although better for lighting, loses something in the image stabilizing department?

No, but I didnt take that many vid’s altogether. The view angle was less in standard mode but the frames per second was twice as much as HD so I went with that after my first attempt.
      Regardless your vids look great, Id like to see some through a thick/darker forest and see how it does with that.

Nice videos MaddSlacker. That new toy you got just moved to the top of my new toy want list. Maybe Santa will bring me one. 😆

They just came out with the 1080p one, so maybe the prices of this model will come down?

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.