First time wheel building questions

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi everyone,
      I hope this isn’t too much of a repeated topic, but I did a search and can’t seem to find all the information I am looking for.
      Here’s the scoop:
      I am currently building a DJ/park bike (octane one zircus is the frame, mostly deity components with some NS bikes stuff as well)
      Basically, I am looking to build a wheel set, I can’t find what I want prebuilt so I know I am going to have to do it myself/buy the parts and pay someone to set everything up.
      So far for a hub I have selected this NS BIKES rotary SS http://www.lamacycles.com/en/2015-ns-bi … single-hub
      and my rim set http://spank-ind.com/products/rim/tweet-28-rim
      What I don’t understand is how to select the proper spokes… this is all really beyond me and I have no idea what all these numbers mean or how they correlate…this is a wheel build chart posted in regards to NS bikes hubs http://www.lamacycles.com/en/2015-ns-bi … ding-chart

Can anyone set me off down the correct path? Maybe explain/show me how to properly use a spoke calculator or something? Or hell, just tell me what I need and why I need it – any help would be appreciated!

Thank-you!

Hi singlecoil – welcome to the wonderful world of wheelbuilding!

Selecting the proper spokes isn’t quite as easy as putting number into a spoke calculator. Well it is actually, it’s just trig, BUT, you have to know your numbers are good. Garbage in = garbage out.

Basically you can’t trust manufacturer supplied dimensions, especially for the ERD of the rims – these are very rarely correct in my experience. You need to measure them yourself to verify the #’s are correct. I could easily look at the provided dimensions, put them in my spoke calc, and tell you what length spokes you need, but without knowing if the numbers are good I wont do it. Once you do measure them up I’ll be happy to help you with the calculation though!

My advice: Get this e-book and read it, all of it, not just the spoke calc section. You’ll gain a good understanding of how wheels work and why certain parts are better than others for various applications. It’s $15 well spent.

If you decide it’s too daunting of a task to build them yourself, find a wheel builder to build them for you. One of your local shops may have a wheel guru, or you may need to look elsewhere.

I’ll say this – building good wheels isn’t hard to do, it just takes patience and attention to detail. The proper tools help a lot, sure you could build a wheel without a truing stand and there are people "who have never used anything other than a spoke wrench" but proper tools make the job easier, especially your first time. I built my first set with borrowed tools, that’s a great way to do it if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on tools you may never use again.

My first wheel took about 6hrs because I laced it wrong a few times and had to start over 😳 But once I got the set done, they were awesome. Rode them on a rigid SS for about 4 years and never had to touch them again. Eventually took them apart and built the hubs up with different rims just to try something different.

Thank-you for the quick reply, I do not want to assemble these myself as of now, just because I don’t have a stand or experience and messing up the wheels on my multiple thousand dollar build is just not what I want lol.
      When I went into my LBS the lady there said they would build them for me if I paid for labour + spokes, so I guess I’ll leave that choice in their hands – I am just afraid of them being reluctant to do it, because when I mentioned I wasn’t interesting in buying my parts at their shop I got some pretty bad looks and of course a half hour of why I should spend double the money I want to on their DMR parts as opposed to the NS bikes and spank rim choice. That’s the thing at my LBS, either you buy a 60 dollar garbage hub or you pay 350-500 dollars for one that isn’t necessarily any better for the job…she was even trying to convince me to buy a cassette ready hub and an adapter kit…how frustrating considering I told her I was hand picking every part in order to match a colour scheme and compatibility. 😛

Yep, everyone is different when it comes to building parts they didn’t supply. There’s more money to be made if you sell the parts.

I’ll do it 😉 but I also charge a build fee when customers supply any of the parts. Typically it’s carbon chinese rims or old hubs getting built to new rims, it’s pretty rare someone brings hubs & rims, but has happened. If a customer buys all the parts through me I don’t charge a build fee.

I don’t let customers provide spokes however because I want to make sure they’re the right lengh, if they’re not you can run into reliability problems.

Speaking of that hub in particular, I’ve never heard of them before but I’m not too on the up-and-up when it comes to DJ parts. At $220 though you’re not far from the Hope Pro 2 Evo SS hub. Same hub Danny MacAskill rides. The Hope is lighter and has faster engagement, 80 points vs only 24 in the NS, and the axle is available and convertible to every standard out there. Bolt on, QR, thru-bolt, thru-axle, etc. And it comes in several color options.

interesting, I will have to take a look at that hub as well then! One of the things about the NS bikes hub I really like is it has a female bolt system (less stuff sticking out and less likely to smash ankles on bolts/nuts) I understand where they are coming from with not being too excited about me buying parts elsewhere, but when you only stock 2 brands and no single speed stuff, I’m not too sure what else should be expected lol, like she was seriously trying to sell me on a 9mmQR style hub that comes cassette ready as if it would meet all my needs and take the same beating that a 20mm axle would…I just ain’t buying it.
      I should also mention I want a LOUD hub that looks flashy, I know it sounds stupid, but I’ve already got a XC bike that has all the function over fashion stuff on it, I want something that is truly a rolling expression of my individuality with this current build.
      Your input is much appreciated! Thank-you!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/e … prod113664
      I have to assume this is the hub you speak of…I’d assume I would have to buy a driver separately for this one? TBH the blue finish on this one just ain’t the same kind of wow-factor as the NS hub lol

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.