First time back on yesterday after 8-9 years…. Ouch

Forums Mountain Bike Forum First time back on yesterday after 8-9 years…. Ouch

--
SHARES

• Author

Wow went out for first ride after 8 -9 yrs without being on a bike… I guess those hills are a lot harder than I anticipated. Went 2 miles and had to call it a day. I am going for some flat ride time I think my eyes were bigger than what I can actually do. Although sore it feels good to come back… Now to get my legs back in shape to get up those rutted out 15ft inclines

Attempted to ride east side of Folsom Lake CA…
    Going to do some flat until I get up to speed… Thought I was going to die…

Man sicSRT8,I’m havin a hard time believing you rode 8 or 9 years ago from your avatar picture,I’m thinkin you were’nt even born yet……..Hahahahaahahaha.
    That’s awsome you are back to riding,and that soreness and lung capacity will come back and you’ll be blazin trails at will soon enough.Ride on dude…….

Yeah my stamina was horrible, legs were on fire and couldn’t breathe. I felt like I had been smoking for years and years it was really sad. Going out for a night ride hoping some flat time will get me up to speed.

Welcome sicSRT8. Dont feel too bad. And riding flat is not going to help you much on the hills IMO. I am proof of that. I was riding long and hard on the street before i started mountain biking about 3 months ago or so. Thats when i realized i have to ride hills to get better. I went to a park down here for my 1st time and i have to say i was dead beat after just an hr. On the road i was used to alot more and i barely got tired. I’d say keep riding on trails and hills. Im sure riding on the road will help a bit but from my experience, its a whole new ball game. Maybe alternate road and off road id say? Thats what im trying to do at the moment and i must say its working pretty good. Good luck man.

There is a trail that veers on and off the normal paved trail so I may use that to get up to speed until I can do full on trail. But you may be right. Hills is to me like doing squats and running flat may not help at all… Ill mix it up for a little. I may have attempted a course that was a little too technical. Dodging limbs and rocks was fun but i cant even bunny hop my bike at the moment so I may need to find a smaller bite.

~J~Poseur
    "sicSRT8" wrote

Yeah my stamina was horrible, legs were on fire and couldn’t breathe. .

Yikes, that’s how I feel sometimes, especially when the sun is beaming down hard and there’s no shade! 😈

Btw.. first post I’m a true noob! 😃

Welcome to the forum sicSRT8. Little hills, then bigger hills ,then bigger bigger hills. After a while its just more of the same and it won’t faze you at all, just keep at it. Sometimes I like a good climb; stretches the muscles out and lets you know they are there. Girlfriends always commenting on guys she sees with ‘bicycle legs".

Leave it to Steve to pick on your youthful appearance heeehehehehe.

~J~Poseur
    "ChiliPepper" wrote

Welcome aboard Singletracks and to MTB’ing, well, at least FL MTB’ing from a fellow Floridian MTBR. Glad to have you here with us fellow MTBR’s just out to have some fun.

Where do you ride at? Oleta, Markham Park, Amelia, etc. etc.?

Ty ty, and as I said I’m a TRUE NOOB as in, I haven’t been to any of those parks yet. The only well known park I’ve been to is Quiet Waters, and that was a bit advanced for me lol

Chilli i went to something down here called south dade green way. Its that part of the Everglades that Dade county took back from some farms etc etc a few years back and re made it into everglades. Well there are hill that were in the 50 to 80 feet high range. Its a bit rocky but i had a blast. Going downhill was amazing but you had to be on your toes. one slip would be VERY painful. Going up them was almost impossible. i think i went up one all the way and the other 3 i got a bit past halfway and had to jump off and push my bike uphill. CRAZY workout tho. Then on top the hills had trails on them and were a block or 2 long. Then downhill. If im not mistaken there were about 4 of those Giant what i think should be called little mountains not hills 😆 When i was up there i could see the glades for miles. I’d definately go again. Not to mention its a 15 min drive from my house.

"~J~" wrote

[quote="ChiliPepper":2nic5wl6]
    Welcome aboard Singletracks and to MTB’ing, well, at least FL MTB’ing from a fellow Floridian MTBR. Glad to have you here with us fellow MTBR’s just out to have some fun.

Ty ty, and as I said I’m a TRUE NOOB as in, I haven’t been to any of those parks yet. The only well known park I’ve been to is Quiet Waters, and that was a bit advanced for me lol[/quote:2nic5wl6]

Heyyyyyyyyy are you spying on me ? 😠 😆

~J~Poseur
    "Biohazard74" wrote

Heyyyyyyyyy are you spying on me ? 😠

😆

Hi babe 😃

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="~J~":1a3a2oda][quote="ChiliPepper":1a3a2oda]

Ty ty, and as I said I’m a TRUE NOOB as in, I haven’t been to any of those parks yet. The only well known park I’ve been to is Quiet Waters, and that was a bit advanced for me lol[/quote:1a3a2oda]
    Quite Waters is pretty cool, I have not been there in awhile though. I am sure Bio has been riding there lately. I am a bit north of you two up here in Melbourne, FL, but I do love to travel to Markham. Anyways you two have some fun riding those south FL trails.

Bio,

I still have a hard time beleiving in hills down south of me. Its hard enough to get some around here without traveling north to NE of me. 😆 😆 😆 😆[/quote:1a3a2oda]

Yeah Chilli. We found them by accident. We looked up trails down here and that place popped up and since it was close by we decided to give it a shot. We went and there and behold. These huge hills. I was looking at them from across the canal and i told my GF "I HAVE TO GET ACROSS" somehow. I found a way and the rest was history 😆

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="Biohazard74":3brz2nna]Yeah Chilli. We found them by accident. We looked up trails down here and that place popped up and since it was close by we decided to give it a shot. We went and there and behold. These huge hills. I was looking at them from across the canal and i told my GF "I HAVE TO GET ACROSS" somehow. I found a way and the rest was history 😆

Thats pretty cool! Hows the DH side of it bro? Is it long and fast and maybe with some gnarly stuff thrown into the run? Whats the name of it, because I sure would like to try it if it is worth the ride when I am down that way.[/quote:3brz2nna]

Here you go http://www.miamidade.gov/mpo/docs/MPO_b … strail.pdf

And yes Chilli. The downhill is NOT for the faint of heart. Alot of huge rocks u have to dodge as you go down fast. I think it was awesome. 😎

"Biohazard74" wrote

Chilli i went to something down here called south dade green way. Its that part of the Everglades that Dade county took back from some farms etc etc a few years back and re made it into everglades.

It sounds like you had great time out there. I have to check it out.

Bio: How far west from Krome Ave do I have to go to get there? And, did you ride it from the north or the south trailhead?

I also found a little trail in Davie, just South of Markham Park. It’s called Vista View Park. It’s a landfill that was turned into a county park. It’s only a 1.5 mile loop but it takes you up and down this "hill" with some fast downhill sections and long climbs. A good workout depending on how many times you do the loop.

Chili: I’ll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow. Are you riding Tillman tomorrow? Let me know.

"foxrider71" wrote

[quote="Biohazard74":20bplxu2]Chilli i went to something down here called south dade green way. Its that part of the Everglades that Dade county took back from some farms etc etc a few years back and re made it into everglades.

It sounds like you had great time out there. I have to check it out.

Bio: How far west from Krome Ave do I have to go to get there? And, did you ride it from the north or the south trailhead?

I also found a little trail in Davie, just South of Markham Park. It’s called Vista View Park. It’s a landfill that was turned into a county park. It’s only a 1.5 mile loop but it takes you up and down this "hill" with some fast downhill sections and long climbs. A good workout depending on how many times you do the loop.

Chili: I’ll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow. Are you riding Tillman tomorrow? Let me know.[/quote:20bplxu2]well we had a farm out there that used to be past 208 ave. Now its cut back to around 190th. The parking for the trail is on 188th ave. There are 2 ways to go. . You can go down the east side of the canal or the west side of the canal. On the eastside is where the hills are. But that side ends on 168th street. On the west side of the trail i hear it goes over 25 miles one way all the way to homestead. I also kept going down 136th till the road ends and saw another smooth rocky trail that seems like it goes down deep into the everglades. I think i might have to take a quick spin around there on my bike and see whats hiding back there 😃 I was thinking of heading to Amelia this week tho. Btw I just noticed we hi jacked sicSRT8’s thread. Trully sorry man

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.