First things first… How to teach kid to ride 2 wheeler?

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum First things first… How to teach kid to ride 2 wheeler?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been frustrated trying to teach my daughter to ride a bike without training wheels.
      She’s 7. will be 8 in Sept.
      I’ve tried the ol run alongside her holding her up and letting go thing… No success.
      Then tried the hill thing. Put her seat down, let her coast down dragging her feet a few times. Then have her put feet on pedals for a few times, then try to pedal, etc…
      She took one fall, and won’t get back on.
      I’d love to get her out riding with me, but got to get her on 2 wheels first.
      How did you all teach your kids?

The other day I saw a guy teaching his kid how to ride using a giant handle that was clamped to the seatpost. The handle clamp had a tube extending far beyond the back wheel of the bike, and had something like a handlebar on the end. This way, he could run behind the bike and keep the bike from tipping over left or right while he pushed, pulled or otherwise guided his kid while pedaling. I have no clue what this thing is really called, but that is the best way I can describe it…anyone else know what I am talking about?

See also:

[url:3r2gwnh8]http://www.wallabykids.com/[/url:3r2gwnh8]
      [url:3r2gwnh8]http://www.sheldonbrown.com/teachride.html[/url:3r2gwnh8]

Well, I picked up a set of training wheels. They’re different from the one’s on our little bike. They’re real springy, and won’t really hold her whole weight if she leans over. She putted around the driveway a little yesterday with them. I’m going to take her to the park today and let her try them on the multiuse path. (pavement) Hopefully, she’ll do OK.

My older daughter (now 9) learned at 5 with two trips down a small grassy hill with the seat lowered and the pedals removed.

The younger one just got them off last summer (at 7) and we honestly thought she would never get it. What helped her was riding on a tagalong attached to my bike.

The older one loves mountain biking and is adept at reading terrain and can ride the rough stuff with me.
      The younger one likes pavement only, but has endurance to go on really long road rides.

It’s all based in their individual personality, but if you stick with it they all get it eventually.

I just removed one of the training wheels. After a few weeks of her riding in the driveway i asked her about removing the other and she said yes.

Well, It’s been raining here all day, so no riding for either of us.

It’s been a while since I’ve been through this with my two girls. I seem to recall them learning on flat ground, in our cul de sac. I think the biggest thing that helped them figure things out was explaining the whole counter balance thing. I mentioned to the girls that to keep balance, just steer in the direction the bike feels like it’s leaning.

They did have training wheels at first, which I set so the bike could lean a couple inches each way. I had them try the counter balance with the wheels on, for confidence, then took them off and they never looked back. Fond memories, enjoy the time with your daughter.

We went down to the park and rode the paved walking/biking path to a pond and to the playground. She made progress. At least she wasn’t crying and scared, and made an attempt. She’d hop on, and try to pedal, but would always have to hook her toe and pull the opposite pedal up. I’m having trouble convincing her that the momentum should carry it around if she just kept her feet on top of the pedals and kept pedaling. I’m going to try to get her out at least once a week to practice. Unforunately, with our short driveway, a bumpy alley, and a street that’s just a little to busy to play in, we have to go somewhere else to practice.
      Thanks for all the advice and tips. I’ll keep you updated on her progress. Hopefully, I’ll have her on the dirt by the end of summer.

Well… It’s been a long road, but she’s finally on two wheels. Last week we went to a park and rode a long gradual hill where she could concentrate on balance and not have to pedal. She was riding without the training wheels hardly touching the ground. Then we met some freinds at the mountainbike trail where the kids play and ride around the playground. A friend took them all down the fire road to the back of the trails. and I met up with them there. After riding behind her on the fire road back ot the parking lot, I told her her training wheels never touched the ground. I asked her if she wanted to ride without them next time, and she said yes. Probably helped that a friends daughter of the same age was there riding without them. Removed them Friday night, and have ridden all weekend with her and she’s not looking back! Went on a couple 2-3 mile rides. She even went thru some grass, and a couple shallow ditches. She’s all smiles!
      Now I’m looking for a mountain bike for her!
      My fearless 4 year old now wants hers taken off! I have no doubt she’ll be on two wheels quickly, since she’s not as nervous or cautious as her sister.

thats great Dave!

My 5yo daugter would not let me take off her TW, she was afraid to fall, but I told her that they were making her fall more. Also the nut kept loosening, finnaly I told her im not fixing it anymore and she is ready for them to be off anyway. She tried it and was worried for a litte bit but then she was okay and was having a blast. Once they are off they improve very quickly. Both of my kids, my 6yo son too, have been mountain biking with me and they love it.

I have 5 year old twins. Both were riding 12" bikes with no training wheels at 3.

How? I never used any training wheels.

Get a Kinderbike….or a small bike with pedals and remove the pedals. They learn "Fred Flintstone" style, and eventually get the coast/balance part down.

I used the Kinderbike. When they had that part down, I switched them to a 12" wheeled bike with no training wheels…and they got it and pedaled away from me.

Just got a Gary Fisher Tyro 24" mountain bike for her! Free! Needs a couple things (See my post in the maintenance forum), but should have it ready to ride soon. She can’t wait.
      She rode a 24" Giant last weekend at the Hoosier Outdoor Experience, and was all smiles.

Thanks Chilipepper.
      LBS had a used crank assembly that fit it! That, some pedals and some adjustments to the brakes and deraileur got her riding!
      She rode it around last night in the yard and alley.
      Now to get her on the trails!
      Might take her up and ride the fire road at my local trail. The trails itself is intermediate, and I don’t want to chance her falling, and getting discouraged. There’s too many places where, if you do fall, you can roll down a pretty big hill. A buddy of mine learned that the hard way!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.