First bike for large person?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Haven’t ridden a bike in 10 years but figure with all the trails around here it might be a better decision than getting a new dual sport motorcycle. I’m 6’4" 290lbs. I looked at some fuji, scott, and treks. It’s apparent that I need a XL frame, biggest thing I noticed was the suspension. Never ridden a bike w/ any sort of suspension (last one was a old giant iguana mtb). I found myself locking them out as they just felt way too soft. Are there some that are adjustable via air pressure (I ask because I could do this with my old motorcycle)? Any suggestions on brands/models (lets say budget of $1,000ish), I’m torn between buying something decent or just getting something at wal-mart and upgrading later? Does anyone make one w/o the front suspension anymore? I plan on ridding almost exclusively off road.

Yes the suspension can be tuned with air pressure on mid to high range bikes. The really low end stuff has spring and/or elastomer suspesnion with little to no adjustment.

Do NOT buy a walmart bike, they are non-serviceable and difficult to upgrade.

Yes, the major brands all still make hardtail models, and there are even still some fully rigid ones out there.

Have a read of this:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge … tain-bike/

And finally, what about something like this?
      http://www.derbybicycle.com/performance/xtc-29er-2/

You can probably find a leftover 2011 of this model for under $1000.

You could get your hands on a Surly Karata Monkey for around 1k. It’s a rigid bike with 29" wheels.

This one is a single speed but you could get one with gears as well:
      [url:wbkjz1ra]http://www.jensonusa.com/Surly-Karate-Monkey-Complete-Bike-2011[/url:wbkjz1ra]

"maddslacker" wrote

Yes the suspension can be tuned with air pressure on mid to high range bikes. The really low end stuff has spring and/or elastomer suspesnion with little to no adjustment.

Do NOT buy a walmart bike, they are non-serviceable and difficult to upgrade.

That’s what I was wondering, thought the walmart route might be good for a frame but wasn’t sure about parts swapping.

like the look of the giant, plan to hit some more of the local shops again next days off, just seeing way too many options atm. Figure this is going to be like anything else, just need to get something then I’ll figure out what I want/need after some time.

Let me be clear, do NOT buy a walmart bike. They are one-size-kinda-fits-all and the frame constructions is extremely heavy. Some of their components are non-standard, which is what makes them hard to upgrade.

Even if you drop down to the $500 range in a name brand, you’ll still get way more bike for your money.

Like you i’m a bit large and i went with the Giant Revel 2. I’m just getting back into riding but didn’t have a ton of csh other than the fork i’m very happy with it. It is a bit like a pogo stick with my wieght but i will just be upgrading it. Best advice. Test ride bikes until you find the best fit and components in your price range. and nothing from Walmart or Target. you will have a bent rim and cracks in the frame in no time. trust me.

Test rode a few. The front fork on the Giant revel 1 I tried was way to soft as most of the entry level ones. After sleeping on it a few days I ordered a Giant XTC 29er 2. Should be picking it up on the 15th when I go back on days off.

I went with the Giant Revel 0 . how you liking the 29er . So far I am really liking the Giant line.

For some info on buying your first mtb, and why you should NOT buy a walmart bike, check out this series I wrote a few years back: http://www.gregridestrails.com/2010/03/ … heres.html

I just realized This feed is way too old.. But heres my answer anyway…I wonder how bignicks bike is holding up and if he crushed the wheels yet.

.I’m 6′-2" and fluctuate between 260 and 290 lbs. (currently 275) …umm coming back down from the holiday gorge fest of eating..lol

I got and entry level Redline Hardtail 29er. Its holding up excellent for me. except for the rims.. So I had to have wheels built for myself.

Heed my warning. You will… due to your size… ruin the wheels of whatever bike you buy.. So just keep in mind that you will have to have some wheels custom made for you if you want to take part in this sport.. Those will run you between 600 to 800 bucks.

So If you could find a nice used xl 29er for cheap 5 to 600ish$.. Use it until the wheels start to go…Then have some wheels built up for you.

and Dude,your 6-4 290…. Don’t listen to the weight weenies and worry about how heavy the bikes are that you look at..Just get a big strong frame that you can add stuff to down the road and def don’t do a big box store bike.

There are a gazillon opinions out there this is just my experience being a Clydesdale..

Good Luck!

I would like to hear how he made out also.

I’m 6’4" also and for a while got up 308 (down to 220 now due to eating right-not dieting-and a ton of riding!). I never had the problem of ruining wheels, and I’ve rode some tough stuff, like Northstar at Tahoe and Downieville. I have broke plenty of spokes. What I did was buy Zinn and the Art of Mountainbike Maintenance and a truing stand and learned how to true my wheels.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.