Favorite winter trails in the southeast?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Here we are in January in upstate South Carolina. Looking for an adventure. Anyone out there have any suggestions for a highly entertaining Blue level winter trail within 100 miles of Charlotte NC?

If you haven’t been in awhile, go ride FATS. It’s an IMBA Epic, and probably only an hour or two away from you. Deep Step trail is fun, and ride Brown Wave as fast as you can pedal. The other trails are fun, too. Bring lunch and make a day of it.

And spend a few days in Pisgah Forest. Highly entertaining. Talk with the folks at Sycamore Bikes in Brevard on your way there. They’ll let you know the current status of the different trails there.

Flow trails like FATS can be tough this time of year, especially with all the rain we’ve been having. Flow trails drain well enough, but the problem is most of them are pretty soft right now.

For that reason, I recommend somewhere like Dupont where you’ll find more rock. Pisgah is pretty great in winter as well, though there aren’t a lot of “blue” trails to choose from.

Interesting topic. I have been to South Carolina for a week to do Surfskiing. Didn’t know that there are mtb trails SC. Perhaps next time I come to South Carolina I should bring my mtb?

Check out Rocky Creek east of Charlotte and Ann Springs close Greenway on Hwy 160 in Fort Mill, SC fore a great flowing trail system.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.