Favorite riding? Rocks, logs, crick crossings, downhill, etc

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Product Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Favorite riding? Rocks, logs, crick crossings, downhill, etc

Tagged: ,

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I myself like a trail that has log and crick crossings that challenge me because after i cross a crick crossing or a big log and I am still rolling, it gives me confidence in all my riding. I also enjoy fast downhill sections. I’ve ridden in Virginia and Pennsylvania. Please share the location in which you love to ride.

I love riding technical trails the most: rocks, roots, gnar–that stuff keeps me entertained. I enjoy the challenge. While I love buff, rolling singletrack, you can only ride so many smooth trails before they all start looking the same. On techy rocks, though, every section is different! I especially love trails that I can’t ride without dabbing at least a couple of times (although those are getting to be few and far between). Trying to make it through without putting a foot down becomes something of a real-life video game: if you put a foot down, go back to the beginning and start all over again!

Buff and technical single track, teeters and logs are also fun.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I especially love trails that I can’t ride without dabbing at least a couple of times (although those are getting to be few and far between).

And they’re all in Colorado. 😃

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":318bxgyx]I especially love trails that I can’t ride without dabbing at least a couple of times (although those are getting to be few and far between).

And they’re all in Colorado. 😃[/quote:318bxgyx]

Colorado has SOME of them, but definitely not all. 😉 I’d be willing it pit Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina against just about any place in the nation for the most technically-challenging backcountry-style singletrack trails.

I love creek crossings, and I like hoping logs too.

I did a creek crossing at Falcon Trail last weekend. The creek was narrow, no rocks or anything, but WHOA .. DEEP! 😆

That was a refreshing surprise.

@dgaddis
      , you’d like Monarch Crest, there’s a section where you don’t just cross the creek, you ride down the length of it for 100 yards or so. 😎

I know this sounds crazy but I love to climb. The longer and more technical the better. Just something about making a challenging climb. It sooths the soul 😃

i’m still looking for the m. c. escher trail where it always flows down and you don’t have to climb up

my next one is my favorite ride. I really like a good mix, flowing, technical, rocky, rooty, creek crossing, old school, machine made…….

I’m not sure I have a favorite. While I love flow trails, I want more technical features thrown in also. Skinnies, log piles, drops, rock gardens, rollers, jumps, and switchbacks, I love them all.

I also like a good climb here and there to really get the heart rate going. I even like the technical climb with 10+% grades, water bars, and roots and rocks, even though they usually kick my butt 😀

I’ve recently ridden three trails in the Twin Cities area and they were put together quite nicely (Lebanon Hills, Elm Creek, and Murphy Hanrehan for those keeping score at home.)
      Sections of flow followed by sections of tight twisty singletrack followed by sections of awesome technical features. The only thing they were missing were the extended climbs.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I love riding technical trails the most: rocks, roots, gnar–that stuff keeps me entertained. I enjoy the challenge. While I love buff, rolling singletrack, you can only ride so many smooth trails before they all start looking the same. On techy rocks, though, every section is different! I especially love trails that I can’t ride without dabbing at least a couple of times (although those are getting to be few and far between). Trying to make it through without putting a foot down becomes something of a real-life video game: if you put a foot down, go back to the beginning and start all over again!

—-> Thats awesome, we used to get on the outskirt of town where rolling singletrack led into canyon bottom where a hill climb led to gnarly, rocky, steep singlr tracks. After that, the route consisted of suburban shortcuts and beautiful canyon joggin trails alongside creeks.
      First to drop a foot without wrecking in the gnarly singletrack bought the first round at the end of the trail.

MTI

rsb201,

Nothing crazy about climbing I love it too! It’s about the only thing that I do better than anyone else I ride with.

My favorite is riding a different trail. Keeping intensly focused and keenly aware of whats coming up, because its all new. I love mastering my home trails, but nothing better than doing it for the first time. T.W.S.S.

"maddslacker" wrote

@dgaddis, you’d like Monarch Crest, there’s a section where you don’t just cross the creek, you ride down the length of it for 100 yards or so. 😎

I didn’t like my chances of living to see the TH twice at 34F so I gave it a miss yesterday but http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … st-pa.html is said to follow a creek for a while.

@MTB12
      http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … -park.html is a neat stacked loop in E PA. good aerobic work out stream crossings lots of small to medium logs.
      I personally love several types of trail. I revel in completing a ruff climb all winded and red lined. Nothing demands sustained exertion or warms cold fingers like a steep single track hill. And love windy trail with lots of berms and high speed turns. Or dropping into a steep approach to a stream crossing then letting the bike follow the terrain with my body flying a strait line across.
      @mtbgreg1 for a tun of technical rock gardens you have got to try http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails … eseve.html If you’re ever crossing I-70 toward KC. Plenty of rocks on the advanced trail, to chalenge even you 😀

Rode Wine Creek and Turkey Creek yesterday. great mix of short fun climbs, a few creek crossings, a stretch of technical riding, long fast moving flat areas, logs, a few rocks and of course the leaves hid a few suprises along the way. Love rides that have a good mix of features. About 26 miles of riding and for the week doing the math in my head just over 100 miles of single track,one work party and of course plenty of great family time on and off the trail. Love Thanksgiving.

Sweet ill have to check it out!

Fast technical is where it’s at; some of the trails here in Ontario have such insane technical descents (typically when going into a river ravine) that feature roots all over the place, and the occasional drop. I love a trail where every now and then, sections have no room for error. Cross this 10 foot log or fall in the creek! Make the switchback for fall 40 feet down the ravine…. awesome 😀

sounds epic man…i haven’t came across anything like that yet but sounds awesome

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Like the same type of riding but seem to crash nearly every time I ride. I started riding this year and have lost count of how many crashes and a couple of trips to the ER with broken bones. Can’t wait to be able to say the same someday! Want to clean Black Jack! I think the variety of obstacles and flowy sections at Halls Ranch is why everyone has it close to the top of their list here in Colorado.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.