Ever break a saddle?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

So I’ve broken two saddles this year. Insert fat joke here.

The first one has been on my bike for 2.5 years, and the support rods on the bottom of the seat snapped while riding some rough terrain.

I replaced it with the saddle my bike came with (that already had a year of riding on it), and 30 days later, those broke, too.

I’m blaming this on timing, as I’m 185 lbs, 5’11" and an aggressive rider on my Trek hardtail for XC, but is it normal to break saddles over time? Just curious!

Fat joke huh…Well I guess when you sit around the house…. You sit around the house..

But in reality if your saddle is breaking check the seatpost mast where the rails attack check to see if they are parallel. Perhaps in all your riding something got hit and bent. Saddles don’t normally snap that way unless they take a big hit there.

"element22" wrote

Perhaps in all your riding something got hit and bent. Saddles don’t normally snap that way unless they take a big hit there.

You got me thinking, and last year in September I had a really bad crash where my bike got flipped into the ground really hard. Broke my helmet and almost my neck – passed out twice from the force of impact. It tore the mesh on my saddle and ripped my Pedro’s bag in half from the force of impact, so there’s a real chance that’s where the initial damage was done.

i’ve broken 2 or 3 saddles. it happens.

Yeah I have had my share of saddle and seat post problems. Just a couple of weeks ago I sheared the bolt into that holds my seat clamp together around the rails. Came off a nasty berm and landed wrong though so….. 😏

I have only actually broken the rails or just one of them before. That saddle had hollow rails like mentioned before. Most if the time I bend them. Don’t feel bad about the weight though. I weigh in at 280 and 6’3" I think that I am the one who is proportionally over the weight limit here.

I took a jump while riding trails when we got caught out in the rain. I was on platform pedals and my feet slipped off and I landed with all of my weight on the saddle. I bent both sides taco style untill they were almost touching the seatpost. We had to bend them back just to get to the hex to take the saddle off. Can’t say I ever broke clean through the rails though…

"Devin_P" wrote

I bent both sides taco style untill they were almost touching the seatpost. We had to bend them back just to get to the hex to take the saddle off. Can’t say I ever broke clean through the rails though…

sounds like pretty legitimate destruction to me.

I bent the rails last summer on a rooty/rocky single track. Was not going fast at all. Was out of the saddle, I went down, bike went up. had a nasty bruise on the upper/back part of my leg. I am 5-10, 190 so I really don’t think it was my size more the way I hit the saddle.

Nope, never broke a saddle or rails. I broke a couple of seat posts back in my BMX days, but never a saddle.

And I weigh 200 lbs, by the way.

And I weigh 200 lbs, by the way.

Yeah,and I weigh 300 plbs.,what’s going on with you guys breaking seats??I know you dont weigh as much as I do……..hahahahahahaaha.Maby me and slacker dont rely upon our seats as much as you guys????I rode BMX as well slacker,never broke a seat that I can recall,although the BMX days were a very long time ago………………………

Just giving you a hard time brother!

I know you are dude,hahahahaah,it’s just that I just cant seem to remember ever breaking a seat but somhow I know I have,just cant remember…..kinda unnerving.

thank fully for my ass i have not to date

i have never broken a saddle, snaped the bolt a couple of times, theres a reason why i now have padded shorts.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.