Even on a road bike I love dirt…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Today was a great ride. I have been neglecting my poor road bike a lot since I moved up to Conifer. There is just to many great trails nearby for the mountain biking. With having today off I thought today would be a great day to tour the roads up here on a bike. I set out and went up the hill. It was a great peaceful ride and it reminded me I do still really enjoy road rides, however, I can’t stay away from dirt. While cruising on 73 I knew Flying J park was coming, I also knew that it is easier terrian when it comes to dirt rides. I couldn’t help meself, I had to do a quick ride in Flying J. Back on the road I continued to just be awed by how great of a state Colorado really is. During the time I was also watching the clouds move in. I did get rained on a little but it felt great! No lightning so I was OK with it. All said and done I did over 20 miles and had a great time doing it. I am going to start expanding my road loops up here, it’s just beautiful!

Flying J suckered me in

Cool pics!… makes me want to go back to Colorado again.

Where are you at now?

I’m in London, Ontario, Canada now… AKA flatland.

Wow, that’s a bit of a drive north. I bet the road/snow scene is a blast though right?

We get really weird winters where I am… last year we only had snow for about 3 weeks in Jan, but I went to Florida and rode for two of those weeks (just luck). But the year before that we broke 100 year old records for snowfall and had snow from Novemeber to April.

Either way, if the weather is fine, I end up on my bike. Colorado gets snow too, though, so do you have any biking shutdown at all during the year?

There are days here and there but nothing drastic. But then again I love to ride in the snow. I am often out when others are not.

Nice! I haven’t taken my roadie on any singletrack (and don’t plan to) but I do ride it on dirt and gravel a good bit. It’s so much faster than the MTB, as long as it’s not too rough.

I have ridden smooth double track.

Gravel.

Dirt roads. Sandy sections suck with little tires though LOL.

Pinch flats happen easily if you get much speed on chunky gravel. I’ll be going RoadTubeless eventually.

Part of my commute home.

Check out what I ran across last week – this dude was HUGE! Biggest one I’ve ever seen outside of a zoo, it was going from one pond to the next. Dropped down the bank and into the water with all the grace of a cinder block LOL.

Nice bike, I like it. Just curious, what size tire are you riding? I am thinking of selling my road bike so I can get something with more clearance. 700×23 is as large as I can go.

Thanks for the pics, glad to see I am not the only.

Right now it’s pretty much pimp stock, with 25c width tires. I’d like to eventually go to 28’s, which is the largest I can fit with fenders, and since it’s a commuter that sees wet weather, fenders are a must, and they’re too big of a pain to install to remove and swap tires for the few dirty rides I’ll do on it. If you do a lot of gravel riding, it’d be nice to go bigger, 35’s or even 42’s. But mine sees mostly pavement.

You certainly aren’t the only person riding road bikes on dirt/gravel, lots of folks do it, and it’s getting more and more popular. Just google ‘gravel grinding’.

I really want to get a cross bike this winter for some gravel grinding!

@dgaddis
      The pic of your commute, is that an old railroad bed?

@Greg

You don’t need a new bike for gravel grinding, just different rims/tires….but a new bike is a lot more fun! 😆

"Jared13" wrote

@Greg

You don’t need a new bike for gravel grinding, just different rims/tires….but a new bike is a lot more fun! 😆

That’s kind of what I’m thinking 😉 Although I figure if I can get my hands on a cross bike, I can ride it on gravel AND throw some different tires on for some paved rides too.

I keep looking at cross bikes, I should probably stop however..LOL

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.